When I turn 45 my doctor might order me to take a colonoscopy. I heard they are hard to take. Should I be nervous?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 days ago

45 is generally too young so you must have symptoms he is concerned about..  They are not hard to take.  You wake up thinking they still have not put you under.  Just do it.  There is no pain and you are up and walking around same day.  Bleeding is a slight risk so talk to your doctor about that.   Colon cancer is one of life's nightmares.

• Willie
    Lv 7
    2 weeks ago

It'll hurt more to find out that you have colon cancer, so be a man and let the doctor check your oil.

• Dj2541
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Your  Doctor  my  suggest that  you  should have a colonoscopy  but  he/she/it  cant  order  you  to have  anything!!!!

• RICK
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

They are very very simple

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

They are pretty simple now, even the prep is easier.  The vast majority have no issues at all.

• Dixon
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I had one as part of a general screening program and it was fine. There was a home enema kit to clean things up and you don't eat that day (so you want it done in the morning). 

• 1 month ago

Can you invite a friend to go with you if you are nervous about the colonoscopy?

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

They are a bit traumatic. You have to starve for 24 hours beforehand and drink a special fluid that flushes you out and frankly you will be urinating it out of your anus. Then when you turn up at the hospital you get sedated before the procedure. However, the sedation is beautiful.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.