Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 4 weeks ago

How did old folks walk to school uphill both ways during a snow storm back in the day?

40 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

I think all the people answering are overlooking the exact wording of the question.  A person cannot walk uphill in both directions on the same path.  It has to be level all the way, or else uphill one way, and downhill the other way, or vice versa.  The saying is more of an expression by which the older generation repeats its perennial belief that the younger generation is going to heck in a handbasket and has it so much easier than the older generation did.  And I am 63.  I would respect my elders, but it is hard to find any, at my aqe.

• 4 weeks ago

they were not old at the time

• L
    Lv 5
    4 weeks ago

How?  They just walked.  

• Marli
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

They were children at that time, so they had the energy and strength. They also had the incentive of a stick or paddle applied to their bottoms if they didn't get to their destination on time.

They also went to school and back in groups, according to my mother, who endured snow storms in Manitoba in the 1930s.  I don't know if she actually walked 4 to 6 miles each way, but schools were few and far to get to in rural Manitoba. They were built 5 miles apart in some districts. It was probably 2 to 5 miles from their farm but it would have felt like more in winter - The winds bite there and it is a hard trudge on uncleared roads.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Listen up you mocker of your elders. Someday you’ll be an old person too. And young people will be mocking YOU and consider YOU to be a slow, disabled and annoying OLD person. And you’ll know what it’s like to be a highly expendable member of society. Somebody that other people just wait around for to die, maybe look forward to getting your money if you have any any to leave for them in your will, but otherwise couldn’t really give a sh*t about you. Just stick you in some nursing home and let you be neglected or abused by the staff. Given a lot of lobotomizing psychiatric drugs just to shut you up so the staff doesn’t have to pay as much attention to you and can spend more time on their phones. 

And you won’t even be able to fight back because you’ll have Alzheimer’s or dementia etc. And you’ll be too weak mentally and physically. And you’ll think twice about complaining to family members if you have any family members who actually care about you at that point, because you’ll be afraid the staff will treat you even worse if they find out that you have complained. Or the staff will just say that you’re imagining it because of your ‘cognitive decline’. 

If you try to seek medical care because you have some real medical issues the doctors will just dismiss them by saying it’s just because you’re “old” and they’ll dismiss your concerns. Figure you’re not worth the bother..

I’m sure you’ll enjoy all of that. And When you can’t work anymore because your brain is so shot, you’ll wonder how you’re going to survive. Maybe you’ll end up like one of those old people who have to buy tins of cat food at the store because they’re so cheap and it’s the only way they can get some animal protein.  Or maybe you’ll shoplift or dumpster dive to survive. Unless you’re a lucky WEALTHY  old person. But even if you are people will try to take advantage of you because you’re old and feeble minded and I’ll try to steal your money. Or maybe you’ll wonder if the people who are being nice to you or just being ‘nice’ because they know you have money in there trying to get to it. You’ll begin to wonder if anybody truly cares about you at all. Even your own children. Especially if you went through a divorce and your children think that you’ve been a failure as a parent.

If any or all of these things happen to you someday maybe you’ll think back on this question you’ve asked here. A question which just proves how this society treats elderly people. As a joke and burden on families and society as a whole. 

Don’t forget to vote Republican nazi party by the way. They want to take away all the benefits for elderly poor people and just give them to wealthy people. That would be your political party of choice it sounds like. LOL

• 4 weeks ago

Not only that, it was a 5 mile walk & we had to walk barefooted.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

The truth is that every old timer walked ten miles to school through ten feet of snow in all weather and it was uphill all the way both ways. No exaggeration. And the answer to your question "How" is barefoot.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Old folk don't go to school.

They finished school a long time ago.

• 4 weeks ago

It wasn't easy--we had to pull your leg at the same time. 

• Elaine
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

As far as is known they used both  feet and walked by placing one foot in front of the other. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.