Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsMedicine · 1 month ago

Is abortion with anesthesia dangerous?

I'm going to have an abortion with general anesthesia in a few days. I've never had anesthesia before - is it any dangerous and do you feel bad when you wake up? I've heard stories of people talking nonsense and seeing things right after they wake up from that.. I know it should be a very short procedure, but I'm still concerned. Anyone went through it and could tell me more?

• Cammie

You will not be given General   anesthesia just a light sedation. You should be just fine.It will be a quick proceedure.You will need some one to drive you home.

If you mean more dangerous than going with just sedation, yes it is. But like any surgical procedure, it depends on what meds you're given, your health & tolerance to drugs. Personally, I couldn't justify it for abortion which only takes about 15 minutes. With "twilight" sedation, patients are so well doped that they barely remember a thing afterward, especially if they're using Versed. The procedure is not particularly painful or unpleasant, so general anesthesia isnt really warranted and is mainly given for psychological reasons.

Btw, the anon below is misinformed and you probably won't have the option of an anesthesiologist. If you're going to a surgical center or specialty clinic, they can't afford to have anesthesiologists on staff.

• Mike

Any surgery with anesthesia has risks.

When you wake up you feel sleepy and sluggish but not "bad".

You might talk nonsense and see things, but it all depends on your system and the anesthesia used.  Everyone reacts differently.

Make sure you have a board certified real anesthesiologist administering your anesthesia and not some nurse with training in anesthesia performing your procedure.  Did you hear about the 18 yr old girl who died during breast enhancement surgery?  Anesthesia was performed by a nurse anesthetist and she died.

https://kdvr.com/news/local/19-year-old-dies-14-mo...

depends exactly on what anesthesia you are having really. May be just an IV form of something like propofol, not full on endotrachael. Experts are doing this BTW.

• God

It is a very safe procedure.  You'll be fine.

• Rick

ANY invasive surgery is 'dangerous' ...................