ydni asked in Society & CultureRoyalty · 4 weeks ago

Was Queen Elizabeth I really a virgin ?

• Cousin

Queen Elizabeth I was not a virgin in the sexual sense; however, she was a Virgin in the symbolic sense of dressing and acting like representations of the Virgin Mary. Like a living eidolon or an ikon or statue of the Virgin.

I believe so, given that contraception was only available via physical means (!).   

However, there is also the often spoken of rumour that Princess Elizabeth, moved out of London to avoid the plague, actually died, and was replaced by a young lad where she had been living, so not to incur the wrath of her father the King, when he did visit her.   I rather doubt that as surely the ladies of her bedchamber, would have known had 'she' been a 'he'.

I think she was named 'The Virgin Queen' having more to do with the fact she was never pregnant (?) or produced a legitimate heir.

• Probably. I don't think she would have risked becoming the laughing stock of the known world by getting herself pregnant while unmarried.

• Clo

She really may have been as there wasn't ample opportunities for secret assignations. It really doesn't matter, though. Elizabeth I never married, dedicated her life to her realm---and never marrying earned her the moniker of "Virgin Queen."

Who knows (or cares?) to suggest anything other than that at the time would have been treason. With no teeth and a complexion scarred by smallpox, most men would have been able to resist her charms.

• I imagine she would have been - the risk to her of falling pregnant while unmarried would have been enormous, and contraception and abortion were just not reliable. 

I never did anything to ruin it for her.

• Cogito

At one time, obviously.  Everyone was once a virgin!

But it seems unlikely that she had no lovers in her long life.  It was more of a mystical nickname - The Virgin Queen - as she never married.