I’m considering buying a home near a cemetery and I’m concerned about my dog eating the grass/soil in the yard - should I be?

This might sound silly; I don’t know. I’ve seen articles about graveyards contaminating ground water and such and my dog will often eat grass and dirt. 

• Ann

As far as I know, cemeteries are not known for contaminating soil.  Bodies/caskets are 5-6 ft. below the surface, and the soil in between the casket and the surface is quite a distance.  Also, there is a layer of concrete between the casket and the surface.  Sometimes caskets have vaults around them, and those are of concrete.  There would be no way for grass on the surface to become contaminated.

• L

Install a fence - so your dog does NOT get out.

• F

Cemetries make good neighbours , they never have noisy parties abd are situated in the dead centre of town.

Test the soil?

Nah. Dogs like tasty grass. Some that have been peed on or schitted is classified by the dog as tasty.

None of you are invited to my housewarming seance. And I’m making Buffalo chicken dip, so there.

• Edwena

That is how if starts.  Your dog getting a taste by eating grass from a cemetery and snooping around.  Then he stays up late at night and starts snooping around.  Then he starts digging and bringing bones back to your house.  And you have to hide them in boxes in the attic to keep things quiet.   Finally, the old dog dies and is forgotten along with his prize bone collection in the attic. Then your kids move you out of the house to a nursing home. And, they look through your stuff.  And discover why you liked that old house near the cemetery when everyone else thought it and you were kind of creepy.  So, you are moved out of the nursing home to the jail, and everyone is happy because it is saving them some money.  

What would it be contaminated with? Human remains are all good nitrogen for the soil. Bodies are buried way deep enough to avoid being dug up by animals. If you like the house you should buy it. 

• John

A cemetery is the best place to have a snipe hunt on Halloween night.

I'd be more afraid of living near a cemetery. Don't you watch horror movies? One good radioactive rain and you've got the undead crossing the street and knocking on your door. "Brains! Brains!" Plus, you don't want your dog digging up corpses and bringing home body parts.