Is it a good sign if an interviewer asks one last question just after the interview has finished?

I had an interview and everything seemed to go really well in terms of their body language, attention towards my answers (writing notes from my answers), and in-depth responses to my questions (including one that used me in an example of me working there).

I'm not saying it was a completely excellent interview, I did have a mind blank when asking questions (which I had ready before hand, just completely forgot about a question to ask). 

But a number of things happened that has never happened in interviews I had in the past. The interviewer said that I sounded keen and even asked if I was able to work early mornings as they were walking me out after the interview.

They say that if they send you in for a pre-job physical and drug test you have the job.

That's not so all the time.

One place called me in for an interview.  I drove 40 miles to get there which means 40 miles back. A couple of weeks later they call me in for a second interview. Another 80 mile round trip. Then they call me to have the pre-job drug test. THAT was 70 miles away. 140 mile round trip.

Now I don't take drugs. Aspirin is about the strongest thing I take. I only drink coffee, water and milk.

Then 2 weeks later they call me up and say the job position I was to fill was eliminated.

It really ticked me off.

• Rick

Sounds to me like you did well.  The interviewer asking those follow up questions definitely sounds positive, but you just never can tell.  

It is perfectly normal for questions to be asked like this.

From my experience in passed interviews I've had (one on one interviews to be more precise) you can't really tell if you get a job or not after the interview until you receive the offer. Body language is one thing that might show something and subtle things they say or not say, but sometimes this might happen and you still don't get the job.

I've been for interviews where they don't write any notes while you respond to questions, don't ask if you have any questions (usually met with an excuse or reason as to why you might not be considered) and even where the manager starts getting up before you say you don't have any questions left (trying to say they are done with the interview and hence don't want to consider you further). These are obvious signs you didn't get the job.

But if they write notes, concentrate on your responses (sometimes saying follow on questions from your answers) and wait for you to end the interview to make sure all your questions are answered are obvious signs that they are looking at possibly considering you for the position. Again, these signs are not fool proof. The only way to know for sure is when you receive the offer.