Kelley asked in PetsCats · 4 weeks ago

why are cats the only pets humanity has that are considered only 'semi domesticated',even if they're living in a home,and not feral?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

Humanity will look at dogs and wolves differently.  Wild cats and domesticated cats differently.

All can be semi domesticated.

If you bring your pet half-wolf to a dog park, the other dogs will know you brought something that isn't fully domesticated.  They just know.

Let the animals make the decision.

• 4 weeks ago

Sticking just with mammals used as pets, ferrets are far less domesticated than cats.   Right this minute I have two cats curled against me sleeping (one snores).  Not likely with ferrets.  Cats were domesticated a good many millennia after dogs, so they do not behave just like dogs, most of which have been bred into a slave-like mentality.

• 4 weeks ago

I would guess that, because they still have a hunter's instinct, they would be more than likely to survive in the wild than a dog would (if someone *sshole dropped them off in the middle of nowhere)

• 4 weeks ago

Because that is how the cats demand it to be..

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

All cats & birds are legally wild. There's no requirements for leashes, rabies shots, etc. They can be pets but they can revert to being wild very easy.

• 4 weeks ago

Cats are fully domesticated. I have no idea why some people think they are only partly domesticated. 

• 4 weeks ago

Whether or not something is indoors has nothing to do with being more or less domesticated.

Sending people to the hospital for bites also has nothing to do with it either...  Bites happen when an animal is poorly managed.

Cats arent fully domesticated because they retain too much of their wild instincts.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Cows and sheep are less domesticated than cats. Ever seen an indoor cow or sheep inside an apartment, or ones that use a litter box? Are there lap cows and lap sheep?  Dogs send thousands of people to hospitals by biting. How many people have to go to the emergency room because they have been bitten by a cat?  Cats are tamer, nicer and more domesticated than most domesticated animals. All domesticated animals still have lots of wild instincts. Dogs still have the same instincts as their wolf ancestors, including the territorial instincts that can lead to bites and even fatal attacks.  Just ask the postal workers union how many mail delivery person have been bitten every year by dogs, and how many have been bitten by cats. 

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Because they are wild at heart

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.