If manufacturing were a larger part of the American economy, would there have been shortages of PPE?

Taiwan didn't have shortages. Their manufacturing sector was so quick to provide PPE, that they didn't have a lockdown.

Update:

Healthcare workers went on strike because they didn't have PPE. If healthcare workers are on strike, patients are dying.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

you are offering a simplistic solution to a complex situation.  it isn't sufficient on and of itself

• RockIt
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Every other home in Taiwan IS a factory.  So, they were all ready to make their own, right there in their own neighborhoods.  Its easy to do this when there are no regulations.

Try running a PPE manufacturing center out of your home or basement, watch how fast its shut down for not having met dozens of local, state, and federal regulations.

• 4 weeks ago

You are missing the point.  We have PPE shortages, even today, because dingbat never FOLLOWED THROUGH with mandating the manufacture of PPE via the Defense Production Act (DPA).  Anyone who follows me knows I am thorough. I would not BE oldcraggyguy unless I ACTUALLY READ the DPA.  Yes, dingbat can hold a signing ceremony in the Oval, but according to the terms of the act, Secretary Azar must issue an order to force compliance with the act, which he never did.  The vaunted ventilator contract was announced as under DPA, but was not ordered by the Secretary, only agreed to by the manufacturers; consequently there are no penalties for non-compliance by any manufacturer. Again, the American people needed action, and all we got was clever smoke and mirrors and a photo op.  Down with dingbat, all the way down.  

Attachment image
  • Sam
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Dump shut down the Obama response team, that was the problem.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

For sure.  But, to return manufacturing to the US, it will take lots of intrusive government regulations of businesses and their supply chains.  I have a funny feeling that the same Republicans who decry the loss of American manufacturing will strenuously oppose the regulations necessary to recover that sector.

• 4 weeks ago

No one in this country died due to an overwhelmed healthcare system.  That was the goal of "flatten the curve" - the mantra that was pounded into us for months - and that goal was met.  Has that goal changed to "no one get the virus"?

• 4 weeks ago

Depends what you mean by "PPE".   The majority of Taiwanese are not walking around in respirator masks.  They have simple paper masks, just like the rest of us.

Taiwan confiscated phones and obtained cell phone information of anyone suspected of having COVID.  Every move of these individuals was then tracked.   

If you want that in the U.S., fine, but stop thinking Taiwan's containment happened with just some mask wearing and social distancing.

• bil
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

We never DID run out of hospital beds, PPE, or ventilators...In spite of Democrat actions....Thanks to the defeat of the cookie baker.

Source(s): But in the North East panicky Democrat 'governors' DID kill; thousands of nursing home Democrats by 'saving' hospital beds, PPE, AND ventilators against future need of 'important Democrats.' The future need, of course - NEVER happened. Thanks to Trump.
  • 4 weeks ago

Just be glad we didn't need socks or underwear, those factories went away in the late eighties. Thanks Bill and Hillary the supposed Democrats.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.