Can I host my own web server?

Yes of course, you can.

By host, I assume you mean have your own physical machine, not just sign up with GoDaddy or some other host.

It's certainly possible; I do.  I'm fortunate to have an internet plan from Fusion which gives me a free static IP, and no restriction on usage (other than, possibly, illegal activity).  But no matter what, if it's just a small hobby server, I doubt anyone will mind.  It's not even necessary to have a static IP, as you can use Dynamic DNS in such a situation.

There are many possible paths to take to setting things up, but the steps I took were roughly as follows:

1.  Install Linux (Raspbian in my case) on the server.

2.  Install Apache web server software.

At that point, you should be able to host a simple web page by putting it in the web directory on the server, which was in this case, /var/www/index.html .  You can view it by pointing your browser to the local IP address of the server, for example, http://192.168.1.22/

My next steps were roughly,

3. Install PHP

4. Install MariaDB

5. Install wordpress

When that worked,

6. Open up ports on my router to the internet at large to forward port 80 (and others in time) to the server.  Now the page could be viewed from a numerical internet address from the outside world.

7. Buy a domain name, and edit the DNS to point to the server.  That way, people can just type example.com instead of 93.184.216.24

It's a learning adventure if you're up for this kind of thing (or a nightmare if you're not).  Just expect to be doing lots of research.

Yes of course, you can.

• Robert

Generally the only thing you need is a static IP address. My cable internet provider COMCAST wants to change your IP every few months specifically so you can't set up a server without also paying them for a business account.  You need a static IP so that it can be registered with the with a DNS.

As for a server, I'm not sure what would be the current windows 10 equivalent but I know one of the big reasons why so many folks used to use Linux was because of an open source (FREE) web server software that was popular. Might have been called Apache?   Now there are lots of other reasons to use Linux too.

Yes you can host your own web server.

yes you can it is very easy any one can look on the internet how to 

Yes, you can host your own web server.

That's easy.. you can use Azure or AWS who offer freebies that could be handy

• keerok

Yes, why not?                 !

• garry

yes if your smart enough and rich enough .