What should I say when I call out of work? I am kind of scared?

I have 34 sick hours. I work retail.

I wasnt going to call out but my husband finally got a doctors appointment he needed for 1.5 years thats inside a hospital but they kept delaying due to covid-19. This appointment is needed due to his sleep insomnia and seizures. They recommended I go with him because he is brining home a machine after the appointment that i need to put on him myself before bed.

Unfortunately I woke up with the biggest headache too and I feel like I might puke (no i do not have corona but i did heavy hkuse remodel work for my parents yesterday and had to wake up earlier than normal (ripping up tiles on a floor then putting new tiles down)

The appointment is during the time I would have to be at work during the night shift because due to sleep related problems

Well i rather stay home because i need to go with my husband and i’m giving them 7 hours to call someone in

• 5 days ago

Check with the HR department and look up FMLA laws.

Tell them you're staying home because you're too scared to come to work today.

• Rick

That`s totally up to you.  I suggest you just tell them the truth, or suck it up and go to work sick.  You might let them decide for you.  Just depends on how much they need you at the moment vs. the possibility of your passing your illness on to other workers.  Only you can be the judge of what`s right for you at the moment.  Good luck.

• I'm surprised they're recommending that you go with him. When my dad went to the hospital, my mom wasn't allowed to go with him. He sliced his hand pretty badly on a chain saw. 

If you knew about this a head of time, you should have tried to book the day off or asked some one to cover for you. Tell your manager the truth. You have to take your husband to the hospital for a non covid 19 related issue. You will be at your next scheduled shift. Don't call in sick. They may have to investigate as to why you're calling off sick, meaning you're going to get a few phone calls from your work place and they will ask you to get a covid 19 test done. 

I'm sure your husband can get proper directions as to how to use the machine from the doctor, then he can tell you how to put it on him. 

A person at my work place calls off at least twice a month because she's tired. We all get tired, but most people still manage to work through it. I had insomnia for 2 weeks and I was still working. 

I worked in retail for over 10 years. I currently work for a warehouse. 

Tell the supervisor the truth, Find out now what is allowed.

You personnel manual should cover it.

You cannot be ratted out if you speak the truth.

You can be terminated for lying.

Go to work.   Being tired is an unacceptable excuse.

Your husband is a big boy and can put on his own C-Pap machine. 

FFS....

You should go to work but if you can't call as soon as possible so they have more time to find someone else.  If you know of a co-worker who will take your shift that would help. (Assuming no overtime)