Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Beauty & StyleHair · 1 month ago

My hair hasn't grown in years, what can I do?

Okay, writing this is really hard without tearing up. I will start from the very beginning. When I was young up until the age of 10 I had very, very thick, full, long natural (afro textured) hair. My hair when straight was past my butt. When I was 10 my aunt cut my butt length hair to above my shoulders. I became really depressed and didn't love my hair anymore. My mother had always taken care of it and this is around the time she stopped and I started to do it and I had no idea what I was doing. From the time I was 10 to 18 years old, I had ALWAYS wore my hear in a tight bun. I didn't know how to brush my natural hair properly and I large amounts would come out because I wouldn't do it in weeks and it started to thin. My mum then introduced me to relaxers and straightening my hair every week because it was easier for me. 

Basically, years and years of neglect of my own hair. I am doing my best to take care of it now for these past 2 years. I haven't used heat in a year and a half. I haven't tried my hair hair up in 2 years, I follow all the rules and I don't see progress. What can I do?

The last part should read * I haven't tied my hair up in 2 years

Does a lot of hair come out when you brush it and shower? You could just have inches and inches of nothing but dead hair. In my honest opinion, you need to chop it all off, or see a professional and they can tell you what to do. I abused my hair so badly, I had to shave it all off and start new, and now it's like from when I was younger: healthy, thick, super strong, and growing like a weed. 

I don't know much about Black hair, so forgive me for that, but I do know that relaxers, and even certains brands, do nothing good for your hair. It's a very strong chemical that can cause tons of lasting damage, no matter how many rules you follow. I really think you have inches of damaged hair strangling and killing any new growth trying to come out, but that's just me. Sometimes, you just have to bite the bullet and make the big chop. I hated my shaved head, but I don't regret it. 

• kelvin

stop worrying and stressing over nothing