Is it ok to stroke a police dog when there on duty or would it find me a threat ?

Or should I wait till there search is over when they return to the van 

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

You'd probably jerk back a bloody stump of your fingers!

• Ann
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Don't ever get close to or attempt to touch a police dog when it is on duty.  It has to listen to its trainer and can't be distracted.  You may also get severely injured if the dog perceives you as a threat or a perpetrator.  Don't even attempt any movement toward the dog when it is in a patrol car or van.  It is considered a police officer, and it is trained to attack.  Police dogs are not pets.

Source(s): Dallas PD
  • 4 weeks ago

Ask the (human) police officer, but probably wait.

• 4 weeks ago

Never pet any dog without the OK from the owner or handler. 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

I used to live next to a Police K-9. He definitely knew when he was on or off duty. He would play fetch when he felt like it using his fetch toy off duty. He wouldn't let me on his side of the fence without his partner present.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

No Officer is going to allow you to go to the van and give the Police dog a treat.

Interestingly, my dog has been trained not to take ANY treat unless I say it's okay, and she won't accept anything from anyone.

They're, their, there.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

i like Dogs!!!

• 4 weeks ago

Always ask the person who has the lead with ANY dog.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

No.  Never pet any working dog when it is working.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.