Is it ok to stroke a police dog when there on duty or would it find me a threat ?

Or should I wait till there search is over when they return to the van 

You'd probably jerk back a bloody stump of your fingers!

• Ann

Don't ever get close to or attempt to touch a police dog when it is on duty.  It has to listen to its trainer and can't be distracted.  You may also get severely injured if the dog perceives you as a threat or a perpetrator.  Don't even attempt any movement toward the dog when it is in a patrol car or van.  It is considered a police officer, and it is trained to attack.  Police dogs are not pets.

Source(s): Dallas PD

Ask the (human) police officer, but probably wait.

Never pet any dog without the OK from the owner or handler. 

I used to live next to a Police K-9. He definitely knew when he was on or off duty. He would play fetch when he felt like it using his fetch toy off duty. He wouldn't let me on his side of the fence without his partner present.

No Officer is going to allow you to go to the van and give the Police dog a treat.

Interestingly, my dog has been trained not to take ANY treat unless I say it's okay, and she won't accept anything from anyone.

They're, their, there.

i like Dogs!!!

Always ask the person who has the lead with ANY dog.

No.  Never pet any working dog when it is working.