What major should I major in to become a Vet?

You see i'm a senior in highschool. I'm on the hunt for colleges and It's almost time for me to apply. I NEED HELP knowing what major I should choose in order to become a vet. I want to stay in state and preferably in Chicago. All the colleges I look for don't have animal science or even zoology as a major so I need help knowing if there's other majors I can choose and still become a vet. please can someone help me. THANK YOU  

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

Contact the College of Veterinary Medicine at U of Illinois Urbana-Champaign for guidance.  You should be prepared to work hard because vet schools are even more selective than med schools.

Source(s): Chi town girl
  • zipper
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

You have to ask?  Biologic and Veterinary Medicine it is pretty much strait forward! So why you having a problem?

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

are you smart enough to become a vet !!!

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Some colleges have a major called PreMed/PreVet. 

If yours doesn't, then choose Biology, then as you go along, select courses in animal rather than plant life. 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

Why are you asking us, instead of looking at the requirements in two or three veterinary colleges in your area? Don't you think they might know what they want?

• garry
    Lv 5
    4 weeks ago

are you smart enough to become a vet !!!

• drip
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

You want a heavily based science major. Such as chemistry, biology, bio chem.

You just have to take all prerequisites classes Vet school require. 

I would highly suggest a major that you like and have a career in.  Vet school is more competitive than Medical school. It is much harder to get into. It is very expensive.

So if you end up not getting in or can’t afford Vet school, you have a major that is goi g to be useful to you. Have a Plan B set up.  What other area could you get your Masters / Doctorate degree in if Vet school doesn’t work out.  

I would suggest University of Illinois. It is really the best school in Illinois for scientist. Look for ore vet organization /clubs at the universities you are researching.

https://publish.illinois.edu/prevetclub/

• 4 weeks ago

Biology and chemistry are first, then if your college offers it, pre-veterinary science or electives. 

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Any major that correlates with both Biology and Chemistry.

• 4 weeks ago

Maybe this will help. It's what one veterinary medicine school wants to see in applicants' academic records. https://vetmed.illinois.edu/education/doctor-veter...

You can check all the requirements of all veterinary schools in the US by going to their websites and looking. You can find all of them by googling 'veterinary schools usa'. Someone who is smart enough to get into a vet school--which is often harder than getting into medical school--really ought to know how to use the internet to find such information by the time they are a senior in high school.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.