Can I file charges against my tenant for excessive damages?

5 Answers

  • Rick
    Lv 5
    4 weeks ago
    Favourite answer

    Depends.  If the damages were just a result of the tenant being a slob, careless, etc., then no, you couldn`t.  If the damages were done intentionally then yes, you could swear out a warrant for the charge of Criminal Damage To Property.  In Illinois it`s a Class A Misdemeanor ( I think), punishable by up to one year in jail along with a pretty big fine.  Good luck.

  • Judy
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

    Criminal charges no, but you can sue them in civil court.

  • 4 weeks ago

    Not unless it is criminal damage or vandelism.  Typically you just sue them for the cost of repairs. 

  • Judith
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

    Why ask us?  Ask an attorney who knows the laws in your state and can proceed with a lawsuit on your behalf.

  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

    What do you mean by "file charges"?   

    Are you talking about criminal prosecution?    No, you can't do that.   (Note:   If you believe they have done something illegal such as vandalism, you can file a police report.)

    Or are you talking about a civil suit to recoup damages that are in excess of the damage deposit?    Yes, you can do that. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.