Why do people always lump developmental disabilities like autism, tourettes in with mental illnesses when the two are not the same thing?
I noticed as an autistic, I noticed people always think that mental illnesses like anxiety disorders, depression, PTSD, OCD etc are similar to developmental disabilities like down syndrome, autism, adhd, dyslexia, tourettes, dyspraxia etc. when none of them are remotely similar other than that both affect the brain. But that’s where the similarities end.
1. Developmental disabilities are genetically triggered before birth. You can’t become developmentally disabled at any age you’re born with one or you’re not.
2. Nobody is born with mental illnesses and is triggered by environmental factors at any age at any point in ones life time.
3. Mental illnesses are not always permanent, whereas developmental disabilities are life long.
4. Mental illnesses if left untreated can lead to suicide whereas developmental disabilities are something you manage/cope with, and plays a part of who you’re as an individual.
5. Developmental disabilities are not inherently life threatning nor are illnesses or a sickness.