What really is the purpose of an automatic dishwasher?

Every time my parents come by my place my mom complains that I don't have my dishes clean enough before loading them in the dishwasher.  If I haven't ran the dishwasher, she takes the dishes out, washes them by hand then puts them back.  If that's not bad enough, she takes water glasses out of my cupboard and washes them by hand because they have spots on them.  

I recall seeing a television commercial where this little girls asks "what does the dishwasher do".  So just what does the dishwasher do?  I don't think I would ever replace it because it's not worth the price.

I only have mine because it came with the place.

Since we got an automatic dishwasher (KitchenAid) 20 years ago, we no longer have any urinary tract infections. I use 'Lemi Shine' in the rinse pocket and my clear glasses come out spotless. 

Dishwashers are a waste time and energy. Typically, they consume a lot of hot water and this water is brought up to a higher temp with the internal heating element. Then the electric motor consumes more energy. You are right. What is the point if you have to scrape and pre-clean dishes? We just clean dishes manually to avoid the extra step and wasted energy of a dishwasher. Also remember that these appliances corrode quickly form tap water and you are putting garbage down the drain system which can cause clogs later on. Then, the drain will need to be snaked out. All you really need is a dishwashing brush and a soap dispenser next to the sink. The trick is to clean the dishes right away and don't let them sit around and allow the food to harden on the plates or pans. Rub your wet fingers over the plate surface to check for any particles left behind. If you find any, use a plastic pot scrubber then repeat the manual cleaning.  

• T J

Stop inviting your mother to your place.

• garry

dish washer , can cook corn on the cob or fish , both wrapped in foil in it ..10 minutes on the hot water mode , perfectly cooked corn and fish ..an cook pizza in it too , just set it to drying mode for 10 minutes.. yumyum.

My dishwasher is one of the crappy energy/water saving ones. It does a better job if you don't give it too much work. Scrape off the big pieces before putting the dishes in, and run a rinse cycle if you're not ready to commit to a proper wash yet. Try other brands of detergent as well, this last one I bought seems to be making a difference.

• maiya

I have a dishwasher.there are only two of us at home.

I use the dishwasher once a year .

A modern dishwasher has cycles to presoak and then wash the dishes so pre-washing is a waste of time. I never used it, just rinsed my dishes first and put them in there. Would wait a couple days for it to fill up with dishes. Your mother must have a touch of OCD...

We don't have one, I'm our dishwasher. Apparently I do it satisfactorily, though the Domestic Officer Commanding will buff glasses if they still have water marks on them.  Been doing it this way for years, if I didn't do it well enough I'd have been told about it a long time ago. . . .

We thought about a dishwasher once, and worked out it'd take longer to load the machine, fiddle with the detergent, rinse aid and so on and unload it after it was done than it would to get on with it by hand.

You do it the way you want, don't worry about what mom says.  If she wants to criticise, let her.

It's for washing dishes. Apparently, yours doesn't do so with glassware to your mother's satisfaction. You might try using a rinse aid. Your mother's insistence on rinsing dishes before they go into the dishwasher is based on out of date info. These days, not rinsing is what is recommended.

I use mine to clean and dry the dishes