Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFriends · 1 month ago

How do I talk to her about this?!?

I have my own apartment which 

is small and I have a roommate who I’m really close to. we each have our own rooms with one common area. She has her boyfriend over a lot which is fine as long as he doesn't overstay or anything because our apartment is small and her hometown is over an hour away from our college. 

Today he came over and they cooked dinner and made a pie. My roommate called me from my room which is off the side of the kitchen and living room and asked if I wanted any and I told her I would come get some later.About an hour later after I took a shower, I came out my room to get some food and was wearing spandex cheer shorts and a graphic tee and a headband. My makeup wasn’t on and I didn’t have a bra on or anything. Her boyfriend walks out of her room at the exact same time and It was really awkward and I was like “I’m sorry I’m not dressed” and kind of shielded myself. He stared for like a second and then shut the door without saying anything. I thought that was kind of rude and I haven’t seen him in weeks and of course that’s when I saw him again. I also kind of got mad at my roommate for letting him walk in our apartment like that by himself. I went back in my room afterwards and he came out like a few minutes after but I think my roommate was with him. I heard him yell something which sounded like my name but I’m not sure. I’m probably making it out to be more than it is, But it was so awkward. I like to look my best in front of everyone. She was in her room

You are in your home, you don't owe anyone to "look your best" so they don't feel awkward. 

There is no nice way to say keep your boyfriend with you at all times because I came out braless and he stared at my rack. No matter what part you delete of what I said, your roommate will be offended because she is in love. If you say you came out half dressed, you like him, knew he was there and did it on purpose. So, if u must say something(which I dont know why u even allow her boyfriend to stay over so often that you have to act like a guest in your own home, thereby changing the comfort of the 2 female roommate situation anyway), tell her to give u a heads up when he is there, so u can make sure ur covered up. Do not say, so u make sure u look nice or she will take it as u want her man as she will think u should be okay looking like a snaggle toothed booger wolf in front of her boyfriend and that u should not care what u look like in front of him. Trust me. My career and life has been working with young ladies and this is fact. 

maybe you should get another roommate

You knew he was there. I see zero reason to be upset. You were born looking just fine. You don't have to turn yourself into someone else in order to appear "decent". You knew he was there. You knew they'd made dinner together. You knew they'd made a pie. You came out of your room into the common room. Honestly, I don't see the problem. If you do have issue, then certainly discuss the arrangement with your roommate. It's normal for roommates to have agreements and rules. Compromise is necessary on both ends. I don't see how you can cry, "foul" when you knew he was there. It's not like he creeped up on you in order to see you braless. More like you made that choice yourself. Though you did have on clothes. Guys who have sleepover with their girlfriends likely aren't particularly shocked to see her roommate relaxed, dressed comfortably and without makeup. BTW, Make up is unnecessary to look good. You were made just fine.