nbo asked in HealthOther - Health · 4 weeks ago

Can my wage get decreased for being sick?

I'm a Canadian healthcare worker in a care home. Most of the residents are very old with dementia. I recently get sick, vomiting and called in to take the day off. When I came back to work the next day my employer informed me that I am receiving a $2 cut to my wage for the next couple weeks for my absence. Do I have to accept this or can I refuse?

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

If you haven't worked there long enough to earn paid sick leave and if they are paying you for the day off but deducting $2 a day until the difference is made up, that would be okay. If they are simply deducting $2/hour or per day as a penalty that is not okay. Ask them to send you an email (something in writing) explaining what the deductions are for. If it doesn't make sense - respond (in writing) telling them you don't agree or don't understand. If they persist and you feel it's unreasonable (which it is - if they are penalizing you further than the cost of what you would have made for the day you took off sick) then take the case to the labour relations board.

• 4 weeks ago

Check your contract if that is part of it. I am not sure how employers can treat their workers but here in Europe, your boss would almost face imprisonment. 

What about to join a union? 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.