nbo asked in HealthOther - Health · 4 weeks ago

Can my wage get decreased for being sick?

I'm a Canadian healthcare worker in a care home. Most of the residents are very old with dementia. I recently get sick, vomiting and called in to take the day off. When I came back to work the next day my employer informed me that I am receiving a $2 cut to my wage for the next couple weeks for my absence. Do I have to accept this or can I refuse?

If you haven't worked there long enough to earn paid sick leave and if they are paying you for the day off but deducting $2 a day until the difference is made up, that would be okay. If they are simply deducting $2/hour or per day as a penalty that is not okay. Ask them to send you an email (something in writing) explaining what the deductions are for. If it doesn't make sense - respond (in writing) telling them you don't agree or don't understand. If they persist and you feel it's unreasonable (which it is - if they are penalizing you further than the cost of what you would have made for the day you took off sick) then take the case to the labour relations board.

Check your contract if that is part of it. I am not sure how employers can treat their workers but here in Europe, your boss would almost face imprisonment. 

What about to join a union?