John asked in Cars & TransportationCommuting · 2 months ago

Is an hour commute to work each day worth it?

for around 20 dollars an hour? Considering the fact that you won't have a set schedule either (such as 9-5)

Update:

It's an hour getting there and an hour getting back. So essentially it's driving 2 hours a day for work

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Jay P
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Are there any available jobs closer to home that offer a similar wage?

If not, sure, it may be 'worth it' until you can find something else.

• Willie
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

It is, if you are paid $35 an hour and you have a four cylinder engine car.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

How does the commute / pay compare to your last job ?

• Zyzzyx
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

I did that from 1978 to 2006.

Yes, for me it was worth it.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • (A)
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

yes.it is worth it  provided you get enough hours.

• 2 months ago

My answer is the same as it was last time you asked this question. 

Thumbing me down doesn't alter the fact that you keep asking this question.

• ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Some commute much longer than an hour and some commute less.

ONLY YOU can decide if your two hours travel time is worth the wages provided at your work.

Would be a good idea to see if anyone near you is willing to share the ride some of time to reduce your costs.

• ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Only you can answer that. I had a 30 minute (or more) one-way commute everyday for the past 21 years.

• James
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

You'd be doing better than me

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

You haven't provided enough information to do a cost-benefit analysis to see if it's worth it. You'd need to provide how much it costs you to commute an hour to work each day. I mean, plenty of people commute that long and it's totally feasible because that hour is spent on a bus or subway that costs them very little, but if they're driving a 2020 Humvee, then it becomes not as feasible, especially if there's also an additional cost of childcare involved. 

If you're driving, you need to figure out your fuel cost by dividing the miles you'll be driving by your gas mileage and then count vehicle depreciation and maintenance by, if your car is fairly average, adding about $.26 per mile to your cost of fuel for a round trip to work. Add to that the cost of any tolls. You then figure out how many round trips per week you'll be making and multiply it by that to come up with your gross commuting cost. You then multiply your hourly wage by the number of hours per week you'll work to get your gross pay. You then subtract your weekly gross commuting cost from your weekly gross pay, divide the total by the number of hours per week you work, and that is what your actual hourly pay is before taxes. If it falls below $0, it's not worth it. That's unlikely, but it's possible, especially if you have a gas guzzler and if you also must subtract the hourly rate of childcare off your hourly rate, like if you're earning $20 an hour but paying a babysitter $7 an hour, that means you're actually only about $11 an hour on a five-day workweek because when you figure that you have to pay a babysitter for 2 hours a day that you're commuting but not working, it brings the $13 down to about $11.  

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.