Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicSinging · 3 months ago

My choir professor wants our majority white choir to sing in a forced Jamaican accent. Is that racist? ?

Update:

I told the choir director I was uncomfortable doing this and she told me she would fail me if I refuse. My friend is also uncomfortable with it. I told my choir director that I’d be uncomfortable as a Hawaiian to see white people singing in a mock Hawaiian accent. She just told me that “some people get offended over every little thing”. 

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

No, it's not racist. Your teacher may be right. You may be what is referred to as overly sensitive. If you were an actor and you were asked to play the roll of a Jamaican and you had to study with a coach to teach you to speak with a Jamaican accent, would you refuse the role because you feel that's being racist? Singing songs of other cultures with an accent of that culture is not mocking or being racist.

• 2 months ago

If it's something iffy, then it is probably racist. However, I am not Jamaican myself so I will not pretend to know.

• ?
    Lv 6
    3 months ago

it's not cultural appropriation, it's cultural appreciation

• 3 months ago

No but its going to sound horrible

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 3 months ago

i would hope not

• 3 months ago

No, you have to do what you have to do.

• Anonymous
    3 months ago

Noooah Mahnn. Cool runnings!

• Anonymous
    3 months ago

Lies... Lies upon liessssss... What crazy story must you create next? O_o

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.