Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicSinging · 3 months ago

My choir professor wants our majority white choir to sing in a forced Jamaican accent. Is that racist? ?

I told the choir director I was uncomfortable doing this and she told me she would fail me if I refuse. My friend is also uncomfortable with it. I told my choir director that I’d be uncomfortable as a Hawaiian to see white people singing in a mock Hawaiian accent. She just told me that “some people get offended over every little thing”. 

No, it's not racist. Your teacher may be right. You may be what is referred to as overly sensitive. If you were an actor and you were asked to play the roll of a Jamaican and you had to study with a coach to teach you to speak with a Jamaican accent, would you refuse the role because you feel that's being racist? Singing songs of other cultures with an accent of that culture is not mocking or being racist.

If it's something iffy, then it is probably racist. However, I am not Jamaican myself so I will not pretend to know.

• ?

it's not cultural appropriation, it's cultural appreciation

No but its going to sound horrible

i would hope not

No, you have to do what you have to do.

Noooah Mahnn. Cool runnings!

Lies... Lies upon liessssss... What crazy story must you create next? O_o