will towing a shaft driven motorcycle damage the transmission?

You got to remember you are towing so it is like a trailer behind you...your turn radius is larger.  I would put the bike on a trailer so the bike does not move and tie the psss out of it. Using ROPE not string.

• ?

It won't hurt the transmission, but towing any motorcycle is very tricky. If you need to move it more than a few hundred yards I would get a truck or a trailer. 

• fuzzy

Have towed a couple of bikes. DONT tie the tow rope on wrap it round the steering head & hand hold it so you can drop the tow instantly if things start to go wrong. MUCH better to use a trailer of if with a car side tow it with the bike alongside holding the B pillar .

Not  if in neutral.  No worse than riding it  same number of miles.. Some tire wear but less as not powered, no cornering,  no slippage on starting/braking. Oil   is splash fed in gearbox and bevel gear.  So long as all  lubes up (doublecheck bevel gear) its OK. 

Always best to trailer her. I got my  Honda from Sierra Vista  (75 miles) by leaving R wheel out. She had a shaft.,   rode her 36K miles until I sold her.

EXO: NO MC uses pressurized gearbox/bevel gear  oiling.  U don't KNOW how much a new GB costs, he hasn't  given Y/M/M. My '83 Honda 650 was shaft drive. Paid $300  for her in 2010, rode her 36K miles.. The Yammer 650 is shaft, too.

its the same as pulling a rwd car as long as its in neutral youll be fine

• adam

in neutral at low speed? No problem but I still wouldnt do it . 

• ?

It depends on how far and the condition of and design of the bike. If the oil seal on the transmission output shaft is shot, or the output shaft bearings are marginal, towing sure ain't gonna help 'em. Also, most mc transmissions are constant mesh. That means at least one (maybe more) of the floating (not splined) gears in the transmission will be rotating on the tranny shaft(s) the entire time the bike's being towed. If the tranny only uses boundary layer lubrication (engine and oil pump off) in neutral it could be serious wear on the shaft(s) and gear(s). But hey, a new tranny may only cost $10,000.00. No worries, mate.

• Jay P

Personal preference only but I'd much rather put the bike on a trailer and tow it that way.  I'd be weary of a towing cradle.

Even if it doesn't damage the shaft drive or transmission, it's still wear on the rear tire.  Motorcycle tires are not cheap...

• Barry

Not if neutral is selected and the speed is kept reasonably low. The effect is similar to descending a long hill in low gear but without any stress on the bevel drive.