gabrielle asked in PetsBirds · 2 months ago

My budgie died last night?

Hi everyone 

I just wanted to ask on how to cope with the grieving of my bird budgie

I was on the phone when it all happened my 7 year old decided to take a sheet that I cover the cage with every night and catch the budgie which she did and I told her SO many times not to ever do things like that again because I didn’t want her to kill the budgie I couldn’t get mad at her for her to stop trying to catch the bird with the sheet because I was on the phone to a very important phone call so bacailly I was distracted in a way that I did not realise what was happening right in front of me..... my 7 year then came to me with the bird wrapped in this sheet and she told me that the bird is scaring her I took the bird off of her and I looked at him and he was dead!!! I gave it CPR and mouth to mouth but it was too late 

I feel so horrible I feel like I want him back i cry everyday every night I just want him back and I can’t..... I am blaming myself for it as I keep telling myself only if I just screamed at her to leave the bird alone he would still be with me.... my 7 year is grounded for a week because of her not listening to me time and time I told her not to do things like that as I caught her doing that once before so basically she took the piss and still did because she knew I was distracted 

I just miss him so so so much I have never cried for an animal so much in my life..... and I have a cat and not even the cat killed him my child did 

What do I do to come with this 

Sorry about it. If it makes you feel any better, your budgie isn’t in pain, it isn’t suffering, it’s simply gone. It’s consciousness is gone, which is neither good nor bad for it. The only people suffering are you and anyone else who cared for the budgie, but the budgie is in a state of eternal rest.

It is like when people pass away, only time you get over them, but dont forget them, in time get another one, a baby one

Thank you all for your comment..... I know I am the only one to blame because I should of been a lot more aware 

I know his not in pain or suffering anymore but still it hurts to think that I should of stepped in in time to save him and I didn’t as I wasn’t aware what was happening it’s definitely a lesson learnt but I still miss him dearly 

• ?

Wait until your 7 year old is more grown up to handle a bird. 

You have learned a very important lesson. Your 7 year old is a child. You are an adult. Children should not be left unsupervised when around, fire, water, other children, and pets. If YOU can not devote attention to the child and the pet, water, fire, sharp objects and other children, you should not be doing anything that is distracting to you.

Mainly because you already know your particular child does not listen to your parenting style and does not understand that the bird is fragile. So it's best that no more small animals come into your home, until the child is older, understands how to behave with animals, and actually listens to you.