Should I donate my sons clothes that don't fit anymore or make his clothes into a quilt?

My son has sooooo many clothes that he outgrew. I kind of want to donate them but I also want to sew all his onesies together to make it into a quilt so I can give it to him when he gets older... I just don't want to regret donating his clothes but it'll be nice making a little extra cash for his clothes.. What do you think?

• 1 week ago

A onesie quilt? Oh, pleeeeeease, NOOOOO! 

Instead, save his future sports jerseys and t-shirts to make a quilt worthy to be used and cherished!

Donate baby clothes!

Donate them to a women's shelter. Many women arrive at shelters with nothing more than the clothes on their, and their chld's backs, and they could desparately use things like another change of clothes for their babies. Keep one or two of the most special outfits, but really, let someone who is hurting benefit from what you have.

Look up the meaning of donate a love

"Donating" doesn't net you cash, that is SELLING.

Be realistic about if you will get to the sewing project.  

In my experience little boys aren't too interested in quilts.

• Sew them into one really big set of clothes, they he can wear them for ever :) 

Source(s): my gram-gram did this. I still wear my big baby clothes shirt today. Gram-gram was killed in a skiing acident 12 years ago. Rip. Amen.

I can't imagine your son would ever want a quilt made from his onesies but you know him better than I do. 

By the way, it's not a donation if you are making money from it. 

I thought of doing that, but my youngest is forty next week and I never got around to it.

Give them away. The fabric of baby clothes isn't meant to be durable but meant to be soft and gentle, so they want make for a very good quilt, not one that you want to last. Also, he's not going to remember any of those onesies. He's too young. So it won't be nostalgic for him. If you want to make a quilt for him out of his clothes, wait until he gets older, and use clothes that were his favorites or that he wore a lot, clothes he wore so much that he wore parts of them out and so you can't give them away, clothes that he'll actually remember and will actually be nostalgic for him, clothes made out of durable enough fabric that the quilt will last for years and years, possibly even become an heirloom. And you can take your time, collecting the clothes over years, so it represents the span of his childhood. One idea would be to keep the shirts you have his school pictures taken in so that when he looks back at his school pictures, a piece of the shirt he wore in kindergarten, in first grade, in second grade, in third grade, in fourth grade, etc. can be seen there as a square in the quilt.

• donnie

Your choice. I like the quilt idea 

• JJ

Selling used clothes is difficult because of so much competition. When you donate clothes to Goodwill or Salvation Army, they turn around and sell them online at cut-rate prices because: 1) they got the clothes for free; 2) they have lower commission fees; and 3) they get lower postage rates. So you have to compete against them...