? asked in Home & GardenDecorating & Remodeling · 2 months ago

Does my neighbor need a "permit" to remodel his kitchen?

I live in a residential neighborhood and my Brazilian neighbor just decided to rip out his kitchen and build it all over again, overnight

20 miles outside a major city with strict zoning laws.....

You "people" who are telling me to mind my business can go do you know what... Anyway, IT IS MY BUSINESS since it's risks devaluing the neighborhood including what's mine!!! A response like that is in no way anyway to earn my favorite answer approval either. I was expecting sympathy that the wrong side of the town is getting closer!

Alex is on his way to earning the biscuit if you can believe that!!

These are some of the worst "answers" I have heard in my life. Although I think the biscuit is going to be thrown to zipper. A very logical answer and one I wanted to hear. Yeah, I'm going to call the town on Monday who's going to slap an injunction on him so fast it will make his head spin. Maybe he'll get angry and out of control (you know the temper Latin people have) the cops will come, find something illegal and deport him - If we're all only so lucky.

• zipper

In most cases he does need a permit, which he would get from the city building code or township building; which he may of done, but he is suppose to dissplay it to the public. Call your township or city building code people.  In his home land for things like that they do not need a permit, he may not know the laws here!

Yes, it is Important. 

If he needed a permit, the locality would have sent a housing inspector out to shut down the construction.

Where I live the neighborhood commission drives around daily to observe any irregularities.  My neighbor tried to add a back porch and got shut down the day the materials were delivered...because they saw them in the driveway.

If your neighbor is creating amess by remodeling the kitchen...you better believe that the electric, gas and permit folks have already approved it...or they'd have orange tape on his house and a big yellow sign out front.

And...who the F cares if he is Brazilian, Canadian or a Martian with extra armpits...????

why are you worried about what your neighbor is doing ? Mind your own business

• drip

Where I live they would need a permit. I don’t know where you live.  Why not check with your local government for your areas laws and ordinances. 

• garry

nope , he is remodeling and not adding a kitchen , you need a permit for adding or building the entire premises as long as the work meets city standards but no one rips out a wall .

Probably to insure the construction, especially gas and electric are up to code.

In my area....A kitchen and any of it's parts that are not structural to the building, can be changed without a permit....providing the electrical, gas and or plumbing remain in the same place.

I find it very odd that you are making your neighbor's desire to improve his kitchen in a timely fashion, your business. 

yes, they need a permit

if you make changes to wiring, hvac, or structural you may need a permit and inspection. but i am sure plenty dont do it.