Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareAdd-ons · 2 months ago

Are disks (e.g. SSDs) faster than CPUs?

Update:

I meant to ask if disks were SLOWER, not faster, but either way an answer will help.

Update 2:

I wasn't meaning to compare the two as equivalent. I was just trying to see which component, in a general sense, completes a task in a quicker fashion.

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

In general, the speed order is:  CPU fastest, particularly if multi-threaded.  Memory is next.  Then disk is slowest.  With an SSD the disk will be faster than a standard HDD, but because of the transfer overhead, the SSD is still effectively slower than RAM.

• garry
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

no , there slower , 

• 2 months ago

CPU processes operations and runs commands but SSD are storage devices to store the operating systems, appplications and user data in it. Though they are not old spinning storage devices, they are flash drives.

• 2 months ago

Both are different things and different areas.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

CPU's are a CENTRAL PROCESSING UNIT. SSD's are SOLID STATE DISKS. Flash memory.

• ?
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

That is like comparing apples and oranges

• Fulano
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

It depends on what the computer is loading. If the data needs a lot of processing, like decompressing and sorting game data, the CPU can still be the bottleneck.

Games with less compression could still max out the SSD because they weren't waiting on the CPU to sort the data as it loads.

• 2 months ago

No,

To put it in proportion:

The CPU in my machine can transfer around 800GB per second to & from its internal cache RAM, or 57GB per second to or from motherboard RAM.

A decent SATA SSD can manage about 500MB per second; over 1000 times slower than the CPU internal data rate & 100 times slower than motherboard RAM.

A PCIe SSD can be a few times faster than SATA, but still orders of magnitude slower than the CPU itself.

• 2 months ago

no. the CPU is faster and yes, it waits to receive data from the SSD

• 2 months ago

Bruh. They're not even the same thing. CPU process info and disk store and deliver info. u need both in a fast computer

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.