Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingNewborn & Baby · 2 weeks ago

Mother in law force feeds my newborn?

It was the third time Mother in law was babysitting our 8 week old girl for a few hours

We were there for dinner and I saw her force bottle feeding my daughter, baby was clearly trying to reject the bottle and looked like she was about to gag and she shoved the bottle deeper down her throat and said stop crying stop crying. 

How do I bring this up with my husband without causing offence or being rude? Or am I better off jus let refusing to pump milk for the in laws and saying I prefer to breastfeed directly? 

• 1 week ago

Tell her that she doesn't need to feed your baby anymore and that you'll just do it yourself. 

Um she was a mother longer than you, she has more experience probably, and maybe you are like some people want to cause issues for families once you have a kid to someone!

Bring it up with your husband? Good grief, grow a spine and bring it up with your mother-in-law. When she was feeding the baby as you described you should have immediately stepped in and taken over. 

Why care about being rude? Your MIL was force-feeding your baby.  You tell her not to do that, and that she clearly can't be trusted to feed your child for now.

Her grandparents are not entitled to feed her.  If you want to nurse, nurse. 

• Robert

I believe the best idea is to remove them from the issue.  Tell them you prefer to breastfeed and don't give her an opportunity to force feed the baby.  If it becomes an issue then address it with your husband and ask him if he wants to discuss it with her or if he wants you to.  And then do it.  Don't hold back. Don't be rude but make your point and don't back down.