sara asked in Pregnancy & ParentingAdolescent · 2 months ago

How do you approach a friend about exposing themself?

I have a friend who is under age and they are having conversations with another party about exposing themselves to make the other party feel good for a lack of better words. As an adult how do I approach the situation with this person( my god child) (age 14 talking to a 16 year old male so he says) to let them know that this is not a good idea. I know I can’t exactly help this person  learn self respect. I think that comes with age. I only stumbled upon this conversation because my phone was used. And I have been getting notifications on my phone like they are still signed in. Am I worried for no reason? Is this just what teens do? Should I just leave it alone? 

Sorry it didn’t ask me what category to put it in. 

What the hell are you doing with a friend who is underage anyway??  She's 14 and you are presumably an adult.  Also, why are you letting someone underage that is not your own child use your phone.  If someone under age sends just one picture that is inappropriate you could go to prison.  Grow up!  If a child is doing something irresponsible and you are supposedly the adult then you let the parent know.  Use some common sense and act like the adult you supposedly are. 

Exposing yourself is never right if I was him/her I wouldn’t do that ,it can get you into a lot of trouble ,tell someone or sit down and have serious conversation with him/her.

• Willie

To expose yourself to your friends may not be good, but in their minds they think it's a new fad.

So if I read correctly he wants to be naked at the party? Or around girls? The answer is still the same. He shouldn’t do it. If he has a gf and wants to get nude with her behind doors then that’s completely fine but If he just wants to do it in public it’s not. He could get arrested if he does that. If he doesn’t listen tell his parents, i suggest to you that you cut off your friendship with him. He isn’t going down the good road and you don’t wanna be dragged down with him if he decides to make you part of his lifestyle. 

• edward

Not your problem.  I would tell the mother

• Aiden

It's uncommon for kids to be like this at that age, but it's common enough that it would seem normal. I mean I was having sex at the age 15, so it sounds quite fine to me.

Just because it's normal though, it doesn't necessarily mean it's a good thing.

14 year olds honestly have no clue at all what they're getting into. Hell even 18 year olds and 20 year olds make bad decisions and are naïve about the adult world, a 14 year old is like a baby trying to file for a mortgage. 

Tell her you saw the messages because she used your phone. Tell her that you took the message thing (it was never explained what you were using) off your phone. Then tell her, as her friend, that you think she's being stupid. And then leave it. If she goes through with it anyway, it's none of your business. Let her make her own poor decisions. But you're her friend so you've got to be there for her regardless of what decisions she makes.

Or if you want to play the God parent role. After you've explained to her why you think she's being stupid, let the parents know what you saw and what you did about it. Let them know how the kid responded to you and whether you feel like they should continue the matter or let it go. After that it's the parent's responsibility to deal with the matter how they see fit.

• Rick B

I think I would point this out to his parents!