Phasing out petrol/diesel cars in favour of electric cars.  Not that it bothers me as I'm sticking with my current petrol?

car to the end of it's or my days, but it occurs to me there has to be a massive increase of plug-in centres (who can afford to have one in their homes?) or peoplel will be running out of juice everywhere.  How long does it take to 'fill up'?  Would it not be better to work on reducing bad emissions from petrol/diesel engines?

@GOCP    Interesting - can you tell me how much it costs to put your car on charge for 6 hours?

What interests me is how people living in inner cities and council estates are expected to charge their vehicles when they don't have off road parking. 

It appears that by 2040 car ownership will be strictly for the rich and without a good public transport infrastructure people won't be able to get to work. 

There is also the emissions aspect to be considered, because unless electricity is sourced from renewable energy sources, the carbon fuel footprint will still be raising the earth's temperature by burning fossil fuels.

Electric cars have been around for about a 120 years, yet now they are thrusting them upon us in 10 years, even though battery technology and vehicle range between charges is not perfected. 

We have to wonder whether this is a ploy to keep people off the streets in future. 

Electric cars not Much good in Australia I watched a review on the MG electric and 75% fully charged would only cover 175 miles

I need an electric car that does at least 400 miles with a fast charge or the Trip across the Nullarbore goes from a 3-day trip to a 8-day trip

• Neil

A diesel engine is at most 50% efficient, less in most operating conditions, and has no way of reversing the process - turning braking energy back into fuel. Petrol engines are less efficient still. Powering either of them by renewable energy is difficult.

Electric motors are usually over 90% efficient, and are reversible allowing the capture of braking energy to be fed back into the batteries.

As we switch to a much lower carbon economy, we will be removing fossil fuels from as much of our lives as possible, so expect not just combustion engines in cars to disappear, but also gas or oil fired heating systems for homes and businesses and gas for cooking, to be replaced by systems using renewable-generated electricity.

A home charger is relatively cheap, and in the UK are currently subsidised by the government, with the result that they are often free with a new plug-in car. They will also soon be a requirement for all new homes in the UK. In the next 10 years they will become common, just as electricity did a century ago, telephone 50 years ago, and broadband 10 years ago.

Home charging is done at relatively low power (usually 3kW or 7kW), so a typical 60kWh car battery would take between 9 and 20 hours to fully charge from empty - but the idea of home charging is that the battery will almost never be near empty, and probably never full either. An hour or so will give enough charge for the next day (ore replenish what was used that day) in most cases. Currently electricity is about 13p per kWh, so 60kWh would cost about £8.

Charging on long journeys uses "rapid" chargers, which can be up to 350kW (although I think the best in the UK right now are 150kW). These cannot charge to 100% full, but can charge to 80% full. The typical case will be from 20% charge to 80$ charge, which for a 350kW charger and a 60kWh battery takes about 10 minutes - and unlike petrol or diesel you don't have to hold the nozzle and can lock the car and walk away, so you charge while eating, going to the toilet, etc.

The challenge is providing charging for those without private parking, so with no ability to charge at home, but this could be provided either by 3 - 7kW kerbside chargers, or by rapid chargers at filling stations (like fossil fuels today).

• ?

My car came with a charger that plugs into a wall socket.  It charges in about 6 hours - effectively overnight.  I could have a rapid charger point installed so it charges in 3 hours, but overnight suits me.  A lot depends on how far you tend to drive and how often.  It could involve rethinking your driving practices.

• Jay P

Internal combustion emissions is not a "new" problem.  Engineers have been working on this issue for at least the past 50 years.  

Even if they could manage to clean up all the exhaust emissions, that still leaves the engines' reliance on oil, a finite resource.  In comparison, we can always produce more electricity.

• Barry

The 'Green' lobby have finally got their way. Even though Adblue diesels only emit water vapour and nitrogen, totally harmless emissions. Our governments have the brains of gnats. Note that only cars were mentioned. What about lorries, coaches and diesel trains? All electric? I don't think so. What about aircraft? Some use petrol the biggies use kerosene. It all makes me sick.

• Sal*UK

I think we will see a lack of petrol stations to fuel our gas guzzlers!