Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsAstronomy & Space · 6 days ago

Does the theory of the block universe make sense?

• garry
    5 days ago

what type of blocks , wooden or metal , lol , another crackpot question .

• 5 days ago

I'll be good  string theory and space and time .no block universe in dumb einstieñ m=m2 if my cousin lice Adams .home mafia works they use there own cops to bust major drug hauls and take a country 

• No.

It's just a mathematical trick that ignores thermodynamics and quantum mechanics. That's what happens when you concentrate on just one facet of science while ignoring everything else.

• 5 days ago

Yes, it makes sense. The universe is a single 4 dimensional spacetime. Nothing changes or moves. Time doesn't flow. Past and future just exist. This view is useful in relativity. But there is no way to prove it is correct. 

• neb
    6 days ago

It makes sense because it is a valid conclusion of special relativity which has survived every test ever undertaken. However, it is not falsifiable because we don’t have causal access to the past and future of other reference frames. The very relativity that implies the block universe forbids us from ever being able to prove it.

Clearly, past, present, and future are reference frame dependent. One could question whether the concept of an extended ‘now’ (a snapshot of our spatial hyper surface at an instant of time) has physical relevance. But clearly spacetime points outside our ‘light cone’ (that which we are causally connected to in the past and what we can affect in the future) do exist. We can’t see or influence what’s on the hyper surface because of the finite speed of light, but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist.

• 6 days ago

The block universe theory makes sense, but only in the context of the malleable suppositions that are used to explain it. 

Otherwise, it is as useless and ineffective as using Jesus Christ 

to say that you understand, and have acquired, God. 

• 6 days ago

I doubt anyone thinks that time is simply "equivalent" to space, however we treat it mathematically . 

• 6 days ago

Nope..............

• 6 days ago

Yes, it definitely does make sense if you think deductively, but it I do have problems with reconciling it with entropy and the inherent  randomness of quantum mechanics. That's not the only problems I have with it. It makes the assumption that the past is the same for everyone. It isn't. The past is subjective and it is constantly rewritten and reinterpreted. 

Thank you for the question. This is the first time I heard of the theory. 

https://www.nasa.gov/exploration/systems/sls/overv...