Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkBeer, Wine & Spirits · 2 months ago

Is it ok to consume alcohol with painkiller?

I have back pain and I usually have beer at night. I drink beer at night as well as my painillers. is it bad that that Inhave both at the same time? 

the question fails to identify the specific " pain killer "  so  research on the most common  pain reliever  among  populations  is Tylenol and Aspirin ibuprofen( per medline Plus)

a person could take TYLENOL  ( pain reliever )  with  a beer and NOT experience any  doom  or serious side effects

the body metabolizes  ACETAMINOPHEN in the LIVER , when consuming the recommended DOSE  Most  of it is converted by the liver  into a BENIGN substance EXCRETED  in urine

.the body CONVETS a small  byproduct  into a TOXIC substance that is harmful to the liver ,  a 2nd Substance  called GLUTATHIONE  helps minimize that toxic effect

alcohol is also metabolized by the liver  cells actually BOTH  alcohol and acetaminophen  USE  GLUTATHIONE  in the liver  to temper the TOXIC effects

studies show  NO more than  4000 mg of Tylenol per day  after a night of drinking alcohol  should NOT  cause liver damage   .. but repeated  behaviors can

depends on ones RISK assessment

Source(s): medline Plus
  • ?

I wouldn't think that a beer would be too dangerous but that is not my specialty. Why not ask your pharmacist or your primary care provider rather than a bunch of laymen?

Quite possibly but especially with weaker & older liver z

. . . . . . . . . .

, , , , , , , , , ,

Yes it's bad, what are you 3 ?

NSAIDs and alcohol will thin the blood too much

Acetaminophen and Alcohol cause serious liver damage.  

Other than possible nausea, cannabis and alcohol don't have serious health risks if used in combination.  

Anything that alters your brain like painkillers and alcohol also is hard on your liver.  So be careful.

• ?

Just read the instructions, but it's up to you

You are legit playing with fire. OMG did you not read the instructions that came with your drug? If you don't have the instructions google your drug and see what the precautions are. I seriously have to wonder how you have lived this long if you have been doing stupid sht like this all your lifel

• ?

It can be bad mixing alcohol and painkillers. Your liver has to work twice as hard and you might end up having liver problems. Skip the beer and take the painkillers to relieve your back pain.

If you really need to ask that question then you shouldn't be drinking alcohol at all or taking pain killers without supervision.

Look at the information that came with your “painkillers” (aspirin? morphine?). If you shouldn't drink alcohol it will clearly say so.