Can I buy a cheaper computer and just switch out certain parts?

I need a computer that has 32G of RAM processor of ICore9 and more than 500GBSSD.  So can I buy a lesser computer that has 16GB of Ram and switch the part out with a 32GB?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

Adding RAM may or may not be possible.  Check the owner's manual or download the maker's specifications because they usually will tell you what you can put in the memory slots.  Odds are that you CAN do specifically what you asked.  In fact, if you have a four-slot memory and only two are occupied, you might just be able to add the 16 GB directly instead of swap-outs.

You can swap out the SSD if you wish.  Having an SSD and replacing it with a bigger SSD might affect heat load a little, but most SSDs run at ABOUT the same speed so there is no massive problem there.

However, swapping out the CPU for a higher-powered CPU chip might be more of a problem because the motherboard and CPU are designed together.  The idea is that you don't want the CPU to "outrun" the rest of the components.  If you unbalance the board, it will do crazy things on you including potential hardware logic hangs where it just stops executing instructions.  Again, you might be able to swap out for a CPU upgrade but you need to have the motherboard's specifications to see what will and what won't work.

• Lv 7
    2 months ago

there are certain things you can change, and some you cannot.

on laptops, the only things you can typically change are RAM and sometimes the storage drive, but it depends on the model.

some models, the storage drive is buried and you have to completely disassemble the laptop to get to it.

you can always search the model number with "hard drive replacement" on YouTube.

• 2 months ago

What about the left out 16gb?

Won't it be a waste of money!

You better build a pc of yourself.

Try to buy each single parts of the CPU.

That will be the best choice.

• 2 months ago

I wouldn't bank on a cheap lga1200 motherboard in a Dell that comes with an i5 or i3 being able to handle the high power requirement of the i9, and the BIOS on those system might not be able to recognize the i9 CPU.

In the end you would have a bunch of extra parts and most likely it would be cheaper to build a system from scratch. IMO, the hardest part of building a PC is placing the CPU in the socket because if you bend a socket pin then the motherboard is trash. So if you're going to the trouble of changing out the CPU then you might as well build a system.

Also, since the i9 is a power hog, you will need a decent aftermarket cooler that can keep up with it's high heat output. The aluminum flower cooler that's found in OEM systems simply wont cut it for an i9.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

Just build one yourself.. You choose everything that goes into it!

• keerok
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Yes you can. Just make sure the computer you are buying can indeed handle 32GB RAM.

• David
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

You can but is is unlikely to work out cheaper. Manufacturers can buy in bulk and discount so in the instance you quote buying a machine with 16GB then upgrading to 32GB is likely to cost you more than the manufacturer would. Additionally using the manufacturers RAM you are guaranteed compatibility and overall warranty, once you start changing individual parts you are left with separate warranties for each part and sometimes the problem of sorting out which part is at fault

• 2 months ago

maybe.  depends on what the mobo will support ... most modern ones will support 64 gb RAM, yes.  And the SSD can alomst certainly be replaced with a 1 Tb model.  instructions for doing that with the SSD come with the new one

• 2 months ago

Assuming you're planning on gaming with it, a cheaper machine likely won't have a strong enough power supply for a gpu or provide enough power to the pcie slots. The cheaper board may not support 32gb of ram as well.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Ram is dependent on the motherboard accepting it. You have to worry about number of pins as well as speeds. Incompatible speeds will go at the slower of the two, but may not work with any consistency.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.