Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingAdolescent · 2 months ago

Why are parents usually so against their kids wanting to pursue a career in the arts field (ex:singing/acting/etc)?

I noticed that many parents are so anti-performing arts and they would rather have their kids not pursue careers in those areas.

In my case, I had African parents who hated it so much, they didn’t even want me doing it as a hobby. I when I told my parents that I wanted to be a famous singer. I used to take voice lessons before entering my sophomore year of high school, but my mother stopped doing it for me because “I don’t have time in my schedule.” Looking back, that was a lame excuse to keep me from improving my singing.

My father hated me doing any other extracurricular activity that wasn’t related to academics. 

She was also 100% me going to a performing arts high school (despite the fact that you have to take regular academic classes like any other school).

Looking back, I wish I never gave up singing when I was a teenager & I wish I continued to pursue it without my parents’ support.

Lmao it’s not a silly dream. 

If anything, being a lawyer was a silly goal for me because I wasted thousands of dollars doing a major that I ended up regretting. Singing isn’t a silly dream when you’re very good at it and you can network.

Pursuing a STEM career can be a silly dream too if you’re terrible at Math because you’ll just end up flunking college and going into debt. Those can be just as silly as singing.

Lmao I’m an idiot because I didn’t want to be a lawyer? Give me a break. I have a bachelors & a masters degree so I’m not an idiot for failing to be a lawyer...lmfao grow the fcuk up.

It isn't just the arts that people are prejudiced against. There are many fields that really don't pay well or have much in the way of work opportunities. A partial list also includes the social sciences, human relations, and the entertainment and music fields.

• Bec

I think because it can be seen to be 1) a difficult field to be highly successful in and 2) if not successful, you're pretty poor. (thinking more along singing here - you've either made it big, or you're still doing small tours around local pubs type thing)

Of course not everyone is going to be a world class brain surgeon - but there are more "average" doctors doing well than "average" performers making a decent wage (my cousin is essentially a busker - music is just a hobby and I think he hopes he will fall into making money out of it. The reality is, he wont. He's not good enough to make it big (nor commercial enough), not invested or committed enough.

I think the same goes for acting - like singing, the child wants to be famous, so are hoping to be A list Hollywood style. Not mediocre couple of episodes on a drama show. A lot of actors (I'm talking like the odd episode) have side jobs to support the acting.

I think parents don't want children to focus all their attention in an unlikely field - if you keep your options open, aim for the arts but have a fall back so you can at least have a regular job to make a steady income

It seems to be an American thing. Thinking that if your kids go into the arts there’s something wrong with them. I had that also. My father was in the corporate world and even though I had talent in music he didn’t want me to go into it because he thought it was ‘fruity’ and not ‘macho’ enough. Ironically he was the one I inherited my musical talent from. He played the piano, wrote some music, painted and was a decent writer. I wasn’t much of an artist but I was pretty good at music and writing myself

.But I guess he was ashamed of all those talents he had and chose to become a businessman. Because it was less “effeminate” or something. I have no idea. 

I just think that in some countries like England for example, people are more encouraged to go into the arts as a primary educational choice.  . Like all those “British invasion” musicians from the ‘60s like the Rolling Stones and people like that... a lot of them went to art school before they Became musicians and formed their bands.

They never even considered getting swallowed up in the corporate wage slave workforce as a goal in life. They just went to art school right off the bat and then they learned to play musical instruments and formed bands and ended up becoming VERY wealthy afterwards. Sometimes that also happens here like in the case of the Talking Heads...a few of them went to art school also before they formed that band. But it’s not as common here.

The arts are considered more of an avocation here and not necessarily a vocation. That’s one reason this is such a screwed up country. Not enough creativity here. Maybe that’s why there’s also so much depression and mental illness here.

• edward

My parents probably would’ve forbidden me from performing had i been a poor student but i got straight A’s (except physics which i failed 3 times).  I was in the preforming arts class at school, even attended a performing arts school for a semester.  My parents are 100% supportive of me doing whatever i wanted as long as it was clear that i need to have a safety net.  My net just became my career.  

i'm in the art field, my parents never made a big deal about it. they knew it was for me. i have the talent. went to school. got a good job out of school. granted, not many are as lucky as i was, being an artist (the painting/animating kind of art, which i assume is easier to get into than acting/singing for sure)

you have to remember, singing is very competitive. you have to be famous to be a singer. to be the type of artist i am, you just need a portfolio and some luck. very versatile, i could do graphic design even if i wanted to. right now i make mobile games.

Because most people who persue artistic careers never get anywhere.   You wont likely ever become a famous singer unless you KNOW someone in the buisiness

Parents want their kids to pursue careers in fields that will actually provide jobs and money. They don’t wanna waste thousands of dollars on your education, so you can become a starving artist and never leave their basement. Most people who pursue careers in the arts end up waiting tables to make ends meet. Very few make a living at it, and even fewer become rich and famous. Lots of kids have dreams of becoming rock stars and famous actors, but it’s a childish fantasy that adults know isn’t realistic. It’s fine to do it as a hobby, but your parents want you to have a career that will allow you to provide for yourself. They don’t wanna pay your bills while you wait for your “big break” that will probably never come. Most people who sing don’t ever get a paid singing job, and if they do, it’s not much. 

A core responsibility of being a parent involves preparing a child to enter society on their own as a self-sustaining adult.

Unless exceptionally talented, and sometimes also needing "connections", it is a difficult field for employment.

Of 140 million workers in the USA, 180,000 make money at singing or musician and that isn't always full-time. That is 0.13%. I know one that mostly couch-surfs, gets on welfare, or goes back to parents, from one period to the next. He's in his 30's years old. 

Voices change as a teen. You are not given permission to live with your parents indefinitely.

• ?

Because mostly it doesn't make any money and they had the same, mostly silly, dreams.

Idiot the chances of becoming a lawyer are a million times greater, for most. Note I said mostly, which you completely missed. I'm not surprised you failed to become a lawyer.