If your parents didn't like the person you were dating would that stop you from marrying them or dating them?

• KTJoe

If dislike is based on race, height, weight, or a mean face; the answer would be no. Any other dislikes; I'd give some consideration, parents might know somethings, I don't. 

• ?

No because I would be the one living with her, not them.

It's no matter

• ?

It depends on their reasons for not liking the person.

• Jane

My parent's only judgement on my partners were whether the person respected and treated me well. I'm the same with my own daughter- I judge her partners on how happy and well she is when she is with them. And I don't mean spending money, I mean does she seem balanced in her mood, confident, do they have shared values, jokes, honesty- does she feel he ( she is straight) gets her, he values her for who she is.

That's it for me.  

Parents will always have something they don't like but will compromise so their kids will be happy. That is the general rule, if they dislike your guy completely, then there us more to consider. 

According to the Michelle Method TM, it is best to marry someone your parents approve of unless they are being racist, classist, or homophobic. Otherwise, it is just going to be difficult in a family setting. The whole interest of the family has to be taken into account during marriage. Break up but don't blame her. If your parents are too controlling, move and keep your future wife away from them. 

Nope. Happily married for almost 20 years now.

• Mary

Now that Im older and still not married, i would definitely take what they say into consideration. But if I got on well with the guy and if what they didnt like about him, didnt bother me then I probably would still marry him.

• ?

I will post this from a reversal standpoint. As a parent I would have to very appalled by my son/daughters choice to say I disapprove of their boyfriend/girlfriend. So basically either 1. your choice was awful. 2. Your parents are nosy mean people set at dividing you and your spouse. Only you can decide if you can trust your parents judgement