Can ceramic tile be installed?

I have ceramic tile in my entrance to my front door. I had a guy give me an estimate on replacing. He said something about the creaking I can hear when he steps on an area. I had many pieces of tile come off. I felt he was saying rug would be better. Is ceramic floor not best to be installed in certain areas?

There is a right way to do it & you did not do it the right way.  An entrance way can be done only if you do it the right way. Your probable best choice is to go with the carpet with a removable throw mat in front of the door. Expense wise. It is a job for a tile layer...they have the tools and knowledge as they will tell you what you need first as you will be doing the 'GRUNT WORK" which is not tile laying...nor floating a floor. It is quite a job.

It sounds like your sub floor is not strong enough to support having ceramic tile. Take the tile up and install a 1/4 inch sub floor and then install a good grade of vinyl plank flooring. it will look great and be about the same height as your current floor  

A rug is not good by the front door because it will get dirty.

I would pull out all the tile and replace it with vinyl tile, the floating sort. 

Once you get the wooden subfloor level, you put down a thin cushioned underlay and then click the interlocking vinyl tiles into place. They do not stick down. They sit on top. Take the baseboard out before installing the tiles and replace it afterwards to hide the edges by the walls. 

I have floating vinyl tiles in two bathrooms and it is the best thing to use, because it is not attached to the subfloor, so it will not crack. Also there is no grout so it cleans easily. 

Look up 'interlocking vinyl tiles' online to find out more. There must be loads of Youtube videos on how to do it. 

What he was trying to tell you was that the subfloor under the tiles is not level and is shifting slightly when stepped on. That's what is breaking your tiles. Get the subfloor leveled, (replace it if necessary) and ceramic tiles would be fine. Don't buy tiles until you level that floor and make sure it is not moving under foot. A rug would NOT be better in this area, because it would get very dirty and need cleaning frequently. Also, cleaning carpeting would cause moisture to stay there underneath the carpet, which would make your subfloor even less stable, prone to molding, and rotting. 

If the subfloor is too flexible installing tiles is not recommended. A cement backer board needs to be put down first but that will elevate the layer of tiles which may not work for you if it is in front of a door.

you can buy flexible adhesive and grout to allow small movement ..old tiles should be removed first

• ?

Ceramic tile, being rigid, requires a rigid foundation so that it cannot move.  If the floor creaks, it is obviously moving.  A rug would be better.  Tile, overall, is the poorest of all residential surfaces.  The reason is not the tile, gut the grout between the tiles.  Porous, weak, brittle.  It is guaranteed to give you problems eventually.

the creaking indicates there is some movement of the subfloor underfoot

as long as the subfloor/underlayment is made solid after the tile is removed adding another tile floor should be fine

You need a more rigid underlayment in the area