Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetProgramming & Design · 2 months ago

Is it pronounced gif or gif?

Who cares, we know what is meant when someone says "jiff" or "giff".

I have a certain pronounciation for a writing instrument with ink, but if they say "PIN" in some parts of the country, there's no problem.

The people I know pronounce it just like gift without the t.

• ?

It is pronounced "it"

I use to pronounce it as G,I,F

I pronounce it as "gif", not "gif".

I prefer gif but the creator says it's jif.

• garry

its pronounced gif !! lets you choose which version , troll .

It's pronounced Jif but it is Gif. 

gif defintiely gif, only psychopaths pronounce it gif, good people like me pronounce it gif.

Go read what the rest of the internet says.  IT'S JIF NOT GIF!!!!  That is how the english language works.

It's pronounced Jif.  Say the word Jeff, then say Jif.  THAT is how you say it.

June 1987:Steve Wilhite releases the Graphics Interchange Format, or GIF, while working for Compuserve. He called it a GIF with a soft g. “Choosy developers,“ he reportedly said, “choose JIF.” This was of course a play on the peanut butter brand Jif’s line “choosy mothers choose Jif.”

Can't really argue if the friggin creator of GIF calls it JIF!!!!

"The creator of the GIF image format, Steve Wilhite of CompuServe, when deciding on the pronunciation, said he deliberately chose to echo the American peanut butter brand, Jif, and CompuServe employees would often say 'Choosy developers choose GIF(jif)', playing off of Jif's television commercials. If you hear anyone pronounce GIF with a soft G, it's because they know something of this history."

Go learn something.

https://www.cnn.com/2013/05/22/tech/web/pronounce-...