Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetProgramming & Design · 2 months ago

Is it pronounced gif or gif?

31 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

Who cares, we know what is meant when someone says "jiff" or "giff".

I have a certain pronounciation for a writing instrument with ink, but if they say "PIN" in some parts of the country, there's no problem.

• 2 months ago

The people I know pronounce it just like gift without the t.

• ?
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

It is pronounced "it"

• 2 months ago

I use to pronounce it as G,I,F

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

I pronounce it as "gif", not "gif".

• 2 months ago

I prefer gif but the creator says it's jif.

• garry
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

its pronounced gif !! lets you choose which version , troll .

• 2 months ago

It's pronounced Jif but it is Gif. 

• 2 months ago

gif defintiely gif, only psychopaths pronounce it gif, good people like me pronounce it gif.

• 2 months ago

Go read what the rest of the internet says.  IT'S JIF NOT GIF!!!!  That is how the english language works.

It's pronounced Jif.  Say the word Jeff, then say Jif.  THAT is how you say it.

June 1987:Steve Wilhite releases the Graphics Interchange Format, or GIF, while working for Compuserve. He called it a GIF with a soft g. “Choosy developers,“ he reportedly said, “choose JIF.” This was of course a play on the peanut butter brand Jif’s line “choosy mothers choose Jif.”

Can't really argue if the friggin creator of GIF calls it JIF!!!!

"The creator of the GIF image format, Steve Wilhite of CompuServe, when deciding on the pronunciation, said he deliberately chose to echo the American peanut butter brand, Jif, and CompuServe employees would often say 'Choosy developers choose GIF(jif)', playing off of Jif's television commercials. If you hear anyone pronounce GIF with a soft G, it's because they know something of this history."

Go learn something.

https://www.cnn.com/2013/05/22/tech/web/pronounce-...

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.