Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingBaby Names · 2 months ago

If I use the spelling CLARE are people likely to mispronounce/misspell it?

Are they likely to say “claar” instead of “clair” due to the spelling?

And are they likely to assume it’s spelled “Claire” with the I? I personally prefer it without.

Claire is the more common spelling but this version is unlikely to be mispronounced.

• ?

When people have the spelling of Domonique a lot of people pronounce it like Domonic...there is a difference but whatever, there will be people out there who will get it wrong and people out there who get it right

• Snid

They might but I don't think most will.  They wouldn't say declaar for declare, would they?  I prefer the Clare spelling, too.

• ?

In my class in school, in the 1950s we had a Clair and a Clare.

• ?

Clare is still a fairly common spelling, I know a couple of Clares and they don't seem to have any pronunciation issues. 

You can tell it’s still Claire.

• ?

Literally everyone knows how to say Clare. All you need to say is it's Clare with no I.

• Jill

Both are common spellings but some people will assume it's spelled one way or the other. 

No. We will think of care with a L. 

The silent E would result in a long A sound like in "fare," not a tall A sound liked in "far." Spelling it "Clare" would result in it being pronounced exactly like the name "Claire." Maybe not by speakers of some language other than English, but by English speakers, it would be pronounced the same as the name "Claire."  

Why you'd spell it that way, I have no idea. While it wouldn't result in mispronunciation, it would result in frequent misspelling. People all the time would be misspelling it as "Claire," how the name is conventionally spelled. I mean, what do you have against that i, anyway?