? asked in Family & RelationshipsFriends · 2 months ago

Do you think somebody is a fake friend if they drop you immediately over politics?

I’m talking about the kinds of friends you’ve been really close to. The kind that they would trust you with their deepest secrets and thoughts. If a friend like that IMMEDIATELY drops you over who you voted for, was that intimacy real and a solid foundation for friendship or does that indicate they were never a real friend to begin with? If you thought you had a solid friendship, but they drop you in a heartbeat, was it really solid ?

Yes and No politics is a very difficult subject to talk about with others. I would be careful and cautious 

A true friend will never "drop" you. No matter what. However, if you disagree on political issues, just don't talk about them.

The dilemma you're facing has obviously affected you created a void as they must have featured big-time within your socializing. However, a person that bases all their hopes on the political world to survive quite simply isn't in touch with reality. Why? If their life was dependent on their party being in power, could you imagine the eggshells their loved ones/bf/gf would be forced to endure during that period? Might sound unsympathetic but you're better off without such a big baby. 

Of late politics is being injected into our veins whether we want it there or not. So I'd put this more into the category of someone in the thrall of an addiction. They can recover from it if they want to, but for the time being consider them lost to the "drug". 

I had a friend I loved dearly for years. I thought us very close. However, during the election process, she began to speak to me in the most demeaning fashion, repeatedly, certainly within 20 minutes of any of our meetings, lunches, going out to explore or having drinks.. it'd turn into her talking down to me, insulting me, and thinking that I should just "take it" and she should be able to say "anything she wants or I'm not a real friend" and, frankly, I began to feel ABUSED. So I ended it. Not because we disagreed about politics, but because how differently the way she spoke to me and appeared to view me changed to a point that I no longer felt comfortable in her company. I ended it. She told more than one mutual acquaintance how unreasonable, how insulting, how awful I was and how I wasn't a "true friend". Thing is, If she'd spoken to me like that at any point in the previous 6 years, I'd not have become her friend. So it was HER that changed, not I. But I did drop her, hard, to the point and I meant it. Took me months to forgive myself. Now I simply pat myself on the back for refusing to continue to be spoken to in a demeaning, insulting and dismissive manner. 

• Dee

I’d say not. If anyone doesn’t politically agree with you, despite the relationship and/ or the closeness you thought you had,  then the person really isn’t worth your time. Consider the fact most of us don’t personally know any of these Politicians so to end a friendship over any of them or their agenda is downright foolish. I’d say anyone dropping you over a disagreement neither one of you caused or were directly involved in was never a friend and you’re better off without them. Good luck and hope this helps? 

• ?

I wouldn't drop someone because of who they vote for but if they vote for someone who is hateful, makes fun of others, uses name-calling all the time and my friend agrees with the behavior, i would really believe that this friend doesn't share my values at all.   So i wouldn't be all that interested in associating with them anymore.  Truth.

Hmmm. Well, it depends. Normally, the political difference is over taxes, military stance, healthcare, and social services. However, this time, we have a president who is impacting the way non-whites are treated by others with his racial dog whistling and has visually mocked a living, actual disabled reporter he does not like  by placing his arms in a gimp position and speaking gibberish. So, in voting for him, you are showing you condone the harm that comes to minorities and mocking disabled people is not a deal breaker for you. 

So, your friend looks at your character differently. It'a would I want to associate with someone like that? 

That answer is, no. If you cannot understand that explanation, it is best you both are no longer in association as you are not morally equally yoked.

• not

A real friend would not do that. Real friends are rare. You will count all of them on just one hand at the end of your life. Cherish them. 

A FAKE friend? Not necessarily, but clearly not a substantial friend. On the other hand if the reason they dropped you as a friend was because you voted for Trump, that's completely justifiable. I no longer associate with any Trump voters, and I have no plans to do so regardless of our relationship prior.