? asked in Pregnancy & ParentingNewborn & Baby · 2 months ago

is it correct that breastfeed babies grow-up with fewer emotional and social problems  ?

• LizB

If they do it's very unlikely to be because they were breastfed, but rather because their mother was both healthy enough to breastfeed and also in a position to dedicate the time to breastfeeding. Breastfeeding rates are higher among women who are college-educated, have supportive partners, are financially secure, and if they are employed outside of the home have employers who give lactating mothers the time and space they need to pump. All of those factors also enable a mother to have a close and present relationship with her child, whereas stressors like financial insecurity, poor health, unsupportive or abusive romantic relationships, and unstable employment can negatively impact the parent-child relationship. Remember, correlation is not causation.

I'm not 100% sure if it is the breastfeeding that helps with that or if it is the binding that goes on with mother and baby. I know that breast milk is more rich in nutrients than formula, but I definitely think the parental bonding is a huge factor as well