M asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 2 months ago

Has the "you are beautiful the way you are" movement hurt women more than helped them?

Over the past 20 years, we've seen many informal campaigns to make women feel beautiful (i.e. big is beautiful), even if they do not look like models.  This is meant to give women confidence when men only pay attention to the hot women.

I'm all for giving women confidence just like I'm for many other womens' movements (i.e. equal pay, sexual assault awareness, etc.)  But I think this new beauty movement has hurt women more than helped them.

In the 1990s and even up until 2007-2010, ugly women knew they were ugly.  Fat women knew they were fat.  Those with busted faces knew it too.  They knew they were not desirable.  And they either lowered their standards for men, or they worked to make themselves more attractive (or both).

That's not the case anymore.  

Now I see hideous women who think they are hot, and they complain that no men are interested in them, and they can't figure out why.  And their standards for men is still unrealistically high.  As a result, they are perpetually single and miserable.  What's worse is, less desirable men are affected too.  Less desirable men go for less attractive women, but now these less attractive women have their standards too high.

So back to my original question.  Has this new movement hurt women more than it has helped them?

Update:

yet-knish - This isn't about a woman's value.  This is about how she is perceived by men.  Men gravitate toward attractive women.  That's simple biology.  And teaching women that they are beautiful no matter what isn't helping them.

Update 2:

Nat - No YOU missed the point.  I never implied that women should HAVE to be beautiful.  I said that the new movement is harming women.  Idiot.

Update 3:

Jim - Answer the question.  All you did was ramble on and on on your soapbox.

Update 4:

Steve - That was not what the movement intended.  The movement intended to make women think they are beautiful when in reality they are not.

12 Answers

Relevance
  • God
    Lv 6
    2 months ago
    Favourite answer

Yes that has hurt both men and women. Now all women have impossibly high standards for men. Then they wonder why they attract nothing but jerks. 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

I believe the phrase was meant to say that the given person is indeed beautiful on the inside as well as the outside. And the given person shouldn't feel the need to be "compared" to anyone else for the given person to feel "worthy." and relevant.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Calling that platitude a "movement" seems like giving it airs. Seems like a harmless sentiment to me.

• donnie
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

People who aren’t going to work on their appearance aren’t going to be the best looking in the room. Sure they can be good looking but I think it’s good to take care of yourself 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Let's face it...we are what we are. And it's not gender specific. A shapely woman has been desirable to man since the beginning of our specie. It's in a man's genes to lust after a woman's body. Sorry. That's life. Get real! An obese woman is NOT beautiful any more than a mustache or chest hair on a woman makes her despicable. A 4' 6" person is no more unpleasant than a 6' 4". A man who chooses to live on Fritos and Pepsis is going to pay the price of obesity at some point, but that doesn't make him any less likable.

These traits shouldn't separate us! Yes, some of these conditions are life choices, some are gene determined. No one can take full credit or blame for these things that make us unique from one another. So far, we live in a free country where we can make our own choices. We're in this together. Getting along is more fun than criticizing and takes a lot less energy. 

• Nat
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

Yeah. Wow. 

You've missed the point entirely. Women shouldn't have to be "beautiful" to exist in society. 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Many health experts say being over weight is now the largest health threat in western countries.  Feminists saying it’s just fine to be overweight is counter productive and harmful to women.  It’s one of the many examples that show feminists care about their cause, not about women.  

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Yes. But it only affects the crazy mentally challenged ones because the normal ones are still fully aware of it. 

It probably helps to build their confidences, temporarily. Then they go into the same depression hole because they can’t figure out why none of their crush are interested in them.

• Zirp
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

probably not

If it stopped them from starving themselves, it helped

If it stopped them from getting addicted to tobacco or other drugs, it helped.

If it stopped them from getting labia-"corrections" it helped

If it stopped them from having beautiful titties "enhanced" it helped

If it stopped them from getting an ugly tattoo, it helped

• 2 months ago

What we should be doing is teaching that a woman's value as a human being is not determined by how she looks.

• 2 months ago

"Has the "you are beautiful the way you are" movement hurt women more than helped them?"

Well it certainly hasn't motivated them to get the proper help they actually need, for some of them.  That movement is a lot like the glbt phenomenon whereby a sexual identity problem is said to be OK now in the last few years by used-scientists who think they know better than actual scientists, and the general population as well.

Can you imagine if we had to entertain everyone with any identity problem this same way?  Make it mandatory to refer to every person who believes themselves to be Jesus, or Hitler, or Napeolean to be that figment of their imagination, or face penalties for "bullying" them?  This is all wimp upbringing that serves no one in the end.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.