Is all in my head or are there legitimate Issues? (Workplace)?

Hello everyone,

I was offered a position as a Marketing/Social Media Manager for a local supply store with a large e-commerce business. I made sure to communicate with owner of the job description & all the responsibilities that came with the job... Boost social media presence by growing on all relevant social media platforms, boost sales by doing targeted ad campaigns, etc.

Fast forward 4 months, the ad campaigns have boosted sales, social media presence is up, and I feel that I have contributed a lot to the business in this short period of time. The store manager, aka my coworker, let's call him Nick, is a nice dude. However, Nick keeps on trying to do my job & has even prevented me do certain things so that he could do it himself. He would make important marketing phone calls and set up marketing meetings without me?? 

I had to address Nick on why he set these meetings without including me in it, & he straight up told me, "Oh, well you're in charge of Instagram and FB, and not marketing." I was honestly so shocked and confused by his response. I had to explain to him that I am hired as the marketing and social media manager, and that my job responsibilities go beyond social media. He pauses & says, "well there are other faucets to marketing, and this media was a part of a different faucet".  

Do you believe Nick is unintentionally disrespecting me? I mean its 4 months in and he still doesn't know my job role? This is concerning to me.

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago
    Favourite answer

Give me Nicks address so I can send him some cash.

• 2 months ago

Are you in an English speaking country?  Is English your first language?

I only know 4 paragraphs about you.  You don't come off as a marketing manager or someone who talks in a social media kind of way.

"I made sure to communicate with owner of the job description & all the responsibilities that came with the job."

- What does this mean?

Usually the manager creates the job description and communicates the job duties to all the members of the staff.

- Did you create your own job description?  Did the owner of the business agree to it?  Did the owner communicate it to others so everyone knows each other's roles? 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.