onthe45 asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 2 months ago

Would eggs with a use by date of 4th November, 2020 still be edible?

It actually says 'use by' not 'best by.

Yes they should be fine. If you have any doubt take 2 bowls. 

Crack the first egg into one of the bowls. 

If it is bad you will know it, not much worse than the smell of a rotten egg.  

If it is good transfer it to the other bowl,. Crack another egg into the empty bowl. If it is good put it in the bowl with the other egg.  Continue that until you have as many eggs as you need. 

As an egg ages the white will not stand up as high and it may seem a bit more fluidly but that is normal and does not indicate the egg is bad.

The color of the yolk also has nothing to do with the age of the egg or it is is good or bad, it is due to what the hen ate. 

I think, you should stop using those eggs!! Egg is raw food. So, it is dangerous!

• ?

Unless they've been sitting in a very hot room all this time, they are almost certainly fine.

Break them one by one into a teacup. If it's fine, pour it into a bowl. Now crack the next egg into the teacup.Don't break them all into the same container in case one of them is bad. It'll be almost impossible to separate it then from all the others. Do it one by one.

• garry

no , to far past the use by date , they might be rotten .use by is usually the latest you con have them , after that the start to rot .

Of course they are edible!!! Don't waste your time worrying about those dmn best-by dates. Those dates are only on food so that the manufacturer cannot be held responsible if the food item isn't fresh. Eggs are good for AT LEAST two to three weeks past that date.

• kswck2

The date is a Sell By date. The eggs are fine to eat for a couple of weeks afterwards. 

I'd have thought so yes. Eggs last for weeks and weeks. The only way to tell is to crack one open and see if it's gone bad.

Unless you live in a country where they are crazy enough to wash eggs there is no advantage in refrigerating them.

As long as they've been refrigerated, yes.  Not fresh, but still very edible.

I have never had a refrigerated egg go bad, and I'm in my 80s.  To understand the truth about expiration dates and such, read the New York Times article at:

https://www.nytimes.com/article/expiration-dates-c...

Yes, unless you've been storing them on the radiator!  Ssssssh!  Don't tell anyone, I've sometimes used eggs months past the date stamped on them ;)  Assuming you eggs are still good be prepared that the whites will be runnier and the yolks flat.  They don't make good sunny side up eggs for this reason but they're fine to use scrambled or in recipes.  It's a good habit to crack eggs one at a time into a cup instead of straight into the other ingredients or all mixed together.  That way if you have the bad luck to get a bad egg you won't ruin the whole thing you're making.  You'll know if an egg is bad, there's no "maybe" involved.  Having said that I've only come across 2 - 3 bad eggs while cooking in my lifetime.