Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesVisual ArtsPhotography · 2 months ago

Is in a motion photography better to zoom out or zoom in at first?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Sumi
    Lv 7
    2 months ago
    Favourite answer

I would rather start zoomed out and then zoom into the section of the scene that I want to record. Of course, one will also need to consider the depth of field and distortion of the perspective that different focal lengths produce.

The reason I'd rather start off with a wide view is so that I don't inadvertently miss some important element in the scene.  For landscapes, for example, this really isn't an issue since the subject isn't moving.  However for moving subjects such as street photography, social events, sports and wildlife, zooming in from a wide view is usually the preferred method.  However, do what works best for you.  With experience comes the wisdom of knowing which focal length you will want and why without having to zoom in/out all that much if at all.  But the process is so quick and easy, it really should not affect your results except in the most fleeting of circumstances.

• 2 months ago

It depends on what you're going for. you can zoom in from a large scene to show how small an actor is compared to their environment, or zoom out from a specific object that's integral to the scene so the viewer knows about it. 

• 2 months ago

It's best not to zoom at all - watch some professional video and see how often it's used!  It can be done well (but not often) but it all depends on what you're trying to achieve - there's no "better".

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Usually it will start zoomed out to show the overall scene then zoom in on the interesting bit.

But that's isn't better in all cases! Sometimes it starts zooms in and zooms out, especially to reveal a surprising scenario.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • keerok
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Video? It depends on what the situation calls for. That's where your "feel" as a director comes in - how you should approach a certain scene.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.