? asked in Home & GardenDecorating & Remodeling · 2 months ago

How to use electric blankets? Sleep with them on? Or just put them in bed before sleeping?

Make your bed using the electric blanket like you would use any other blanket. 

Plug the blanket into the electrical outlet, using a timer. 

Set the timer 1/2 hour before bedtime so it heats the bed before you get into the bed. 

Set the timer 1/2 hour before you want to wake up so the heating blanket is turned off automatically. This way you avoid forgetting to turn it off and waste electricity heating an empty bed all day long.

We use them to warm the bed on if we have extra cold nights we may turn on to a low 3.

• L

Most electric blankets are used like a blanket.....they go on top of you.  There is such a thing as a Bed Warmer...........it's like an electric blanket, however, it covers the mattress, your sheet goes on top of it and then you lay down.  The only problem, with these, the entire bed is heated..........which means heat will come up through your pillow and cause head aches.

My mother, for years, used an electric blanket.  She turned it on, about 30-minutes before she went to bed, and then when she did go to bed - she turned the electric blanket off.  She just wanted the bed to be warm when she first got under the covers because your body heat will keep you warm throughout the night.

I have a heated mattress pad rather than a blanket. I find it's best to put it on half an hour before bedtime so I get into a warm bed, leave it on while I read and get warm, then shut it off or turn it way down. If it's on while I sleep, unless the house is really really cold, then I wake up sweltering later. If you're not warm enough with a heated bed by the time you go to sleep, you need more blankets or better pajamas. Or better bedsheets. Genuine flannel, while expensive, is warmer than smooth fabrics.

Blankets might be a different matter, because they can get folded and rumpled while you sleep, the wires in the blanket will be more likely to overheat from being squashed together, or to get damaged, than in the mattress pad which is underneath me and stays flat all the time. Check the safety warnings and instructions that come with what you buy.

• drip

I put mine on high to warm up the bed, the turn it down to the lowest setting to sleep. 

Depends on the type - mine can be on though the night, although it tends to get a bit toasty after a while on the high setting, but is great on the lowest one.  I used to have the ones that were pre-warm (about 50 years ago that's all they had) and it wa bit of a bind having to remember to put it on (solved that by having a timeclock)

• Barry

Some are dual use. You can have them on a setting to air the bed and you can switch them to an all night setting. Mine has this facility.

There are two different classes of electric blanket, you need to read the instructions on whatever one you get - or examine the details before you buy.

Some must only be used to pre-warm the bed, others can be left on all night (usually the "underblanket" type, from memory?)