Anonymous

Who would be right in this senerio? my boss or myself?

I am a college student working at a retail store part time. I told my manager from when I first got hired I cannot work Fridays as I have class. 

My boss asked me for my school schedule so she can know how to maker up the work schedules. My class is from 2-3:30, BUT if anyone needed me, they could always call me and ask if I can come in AFTER 3:30 if they absolutely need coverage for any reason. My boss was aware of this.Black Friday is approaching and I understand everyone must work on black Friday. I haven't checked the schedule, which I know I should just to always be safe I guess? but my boss was made aware from the begining I cannot work if I have class. My boss put me 7am to 3pm for Friday. I asked her if I can come in after 3:30 as I have class. She then proceeded to tell me that she needs me during that time and that I should have checked the schedule earlier last week if I had an issue with it.. but I also told her 3 months ago when she asked for my school schedule I cannot work Fridays from 2-3:30..  is this my fault? or hers?

I also asked my boss that I can come in either before my class or after (4:00 to close) to try to accomidate but she said she needs me during my class.

To the anon, I have classes after thanksgiving day yes, just like how stores are open thanksgiving day. Always have, not sure why you are so keen on your point since it's actually inaccurate but ok. lol

• ?

You're right in this scenario. Your boss sounds desperate so she was being pushy and not being understanding about the hours. It's common sense that you need to go to school and its not  like its summertime so you don't have as much freedom to go get the hours you want.

Time to understand you are the employee and work at the times the employer schedules you.  If you are not available when needed, resign before you get fired, and find a job that meets your demands.  

• ?

You are a college student?  You have NO classes on Black Friday!  GO TO WORK!

Do you remember conversations from 3 months ago? Cause I don't.

This is an easy mistake to make as a manager for part-time workers. 

This is not your fault. You've given her your schedule. She has that and decided to schedule you during your class anyway. You have to go to her and confront her about this. This may indeed result in your dismissal--but I'm really wondering why she did it. DO NOT cave in and work during your class. Let her know you're sorry, but you have done what you're obligated to do--which is give her your schedule, and she decided to ignore it. She should not be passing off the responsibility for 'checking the schedule' onto you--she should not have scheduled you in the first place. 

Bosses don't like to admit they are wrong. She is. But that isn't your concern. You simply cannot work during the hours she scheduled you. This may, as I said, result in her dismissing you. Don't be hostile or argumentative about this, but you must insist on your position. Just because she needs you it should not mean she ignores your classes. You can't teach her to be more competent, but you can say you are unavailable. Then, it's up to her to fix the problem. 

Source(s): Worked in HR for 31 years.

It's her mistake, that she refuses to admit.  She is an unreasonable woman.

I'd guess that she's well aware that there are no classes on the day after Thanksgiving. Nice try!

• Judy

What school do you go to that has class on th day after Thanksgiving?  I don't know of any that are in session.

• n2mama

It’s not about right or wrong or fault. Your boss scheduled you to work on Black Friday, and pretty much anyone who has ever worked retail knows that it’s all hands on deck on Black Friday. Your boss needs you at 7am, coming in after your class ends doesn’t serve the same need. She’s made it clear that your work schedule won’t change. You now have three choices. 1. Miss your class this one time and work your scheduled shift. 2. Call off your scheduled shift and take whatever consequences that brings (probably a write up, but we have no idea what your attendance history is). 3. Quit your job immediately. Know this means you can probably never use this job as a reference.

Incidentally, your boss may have assumed that you do not have classes on Friday, as virtually all schools are on break. If yours is the exception, that’s fine, but I have a hard time believing that you would be the only person to miss class if that’s the choice you make.

It's no one's fault.

Employers make the work schedule, not employees.  Employers need employees who can/will work the shifts they need covered.   If you can't/won't, then you aren't a match for the job and should be replaced.

This ain't my first rodeo and I find it difficult to believe you have class the day after Thanksgiving.