Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingBaby Names · 2 months ago

Why do some fathers name their sons with the same names plus junior?

And also grandsons with the same names plus third 

Great grandsons with the same names plus fourth 

I don't think it's lack of imagination as someone suggested. My grandpa, dad, and brother all have the same names. My brother wants to name his son after him. I have been opposed to this, but for him it's an honor being the only son to carry on the name. 

It's the same for me... My grandma's name is Linda, my mom's middle name is Lynn and my middle name is Lynn. There's so much of me that wants to carry on this name and honor all of the women in my family- even though most of the names I like don't flow with Lynn

Robert Downey Junior

• blank

To idenfy who is who better.

Obviously to carry on tradition and they like the name 

Lots of reasons, family tradition, lack of imagination, desire to gain approval from family, etc. 

• donnie

They like to pass the name down so you add a jr or ll so you know who it is 

Because they want to.

• Jill

Tradition and probably a bit of vanity. 

To keep the family name going. 

George Foreman named his sons George Foreman Jr. -  VI. 

It's about homage and honoring a family tradition. My brother was the IV and his son was the V. For me, I never liked answering the phone and asking big E, or little E.