Is is safe to drive?

I was really tired last night and I hit a curb, my tire is a little damaged along with my expensive rim 😭

But my question is, how safe is it to drive with this tire now? 

The inside metal threads are not showing, it’s just rubber.

I used the flash so it’s a little bright but when I pull on the rubber cut 

/flap, it doesn’t expose threads or anything.

I am in a difficult financial situation at the moment so I would love to avoid paying $150+ for a new tire

Thank you 

If you have enough money, buy new one

That is not bad.  However as it is at the rim, I would have the tire removed and the rim ground smooth there near the tire so it does not cut into the tire with each tire rotation. Tire will serve for awhile yet, though I do see the regular tread is getting LOW so you will be looking for new tread soon anyways.

• garry

nope , new tire needed and rim needs repair , after all it could blow on you next burnout .ohh yes you cant repair the side walls of a tire ..

I had just about the same situation on a nearly new tire. I drove it from San Francisco, Ca., to Port Angeles, Wa., and back. No problem. The following year, I made the same trip. No problem. I replaced the tire when the tread wore out. Call me lucky, but for all the lotto tickets I bought over the years, I never got a jackpot. It was a Hankook tire. That might make a difference. I've seen people replace a tire with a small nail in it instead of getting it patched. It's a free country, but pay what you like.

That looks like a helluva burr on the outside diameter of your wheel. If nothing else, I'd take a file and knock that burr off the wheel so no sharp edge could come into contact with the tire if you go hard into a corner. I'm guessing that is the passenger side front? Take it off and put it on the back, just in case it does decide to give up the fight, you wont have a blowout on the front. You should be okay if you do that...slow down and keep an eye on it for a while. Looks like you'll be needing some new tires before too much longer anyway...good luck.

There are bead cords in that area and it is very thick there. That wheel could easily be bent. You have low profile tires and you might as well get used to this kind of damage. There will be more. My advise is to put the seat up so you can judge where curbs are better. 

• Anton

With over 70 years on vehicles with bad tires....

You didn't bend the rim.  The tire just a little peel , not near touching the cords. 

Roughly the same as if you skinned an elbow.  An "ouchie", but still totally safe.

Look at the tire bead where you hit the rim to see if it's still in place. If questionable use a bit of dish soap and water to soak the bead area to see if it's leaking.

Most likely you would be safe but I wouldn't take the chance. Get a new tire. At least go to a tire shop and have it looked at and see what they say.

• CB

Rotate the tire to the rear, avoid 80mph long trips on crowded freeways, check the tire often for any changes, make sure your spare and jack are ready for use, I would drive it for a while with out too much concern but I would check it regularly.