PTO removed from checks history by employer?

Hi my name is Becky I worked very hard from April all the way to October. Like crazy over time shifts usually 50 hours overtime every two weeks etc.... my pto on my last check says 35.00 hours PTO.. However all my other pto on my previous checks have been removed on paylocity (a pay app). In Maine you have to pay out Paid Time Off. I feel like earned more PTO than I'm getting. I unfortunately no longer work for this place and got a paycheck that is a bit upsetting. How can I calculate my PTO based on my hours worked?

Maine DOES NOT require employers to pay out vacation/paid time off.

This is direct from the Maine department of labor website:

Under Maine law, only the unused accrued vacation time is required to be paid upon termination in cases where the employer’s policy specifically states that the unused balance will be paid upon termination.

If your employer DOES NOT have a policy that requires the employer to pay out vacation/paid time off at termination, there is NO requirement to pay the time out at termination.

https://www.maine.gov/labor/labor_laws/faqs.html

PTO/Vacation does NOT need to be based on hours worked.  Many companies have policies that you get a small amount of vacation/PTO for each hour worked but that is not the only way to do it.  Some companies pay a lump sum per month/week/pay period/year.  Also when PTO/Vacation is earned per hour worked, overtime is usually excluded from the accrual.

You can read the employee handbook to see if vacation/PTO is paid out upon termination and what the accrual rate is.

• n2mama

You would need to contact your former employer  and clarify how your PTO is accrued. Do you get x minutes of PTO per y hours worked? Does overtime worked also count toward PTO? Some companies it doesn’t. Nobody here knows what your rate of accrual would be, or if overtime is included in PTO calculations. If you don’t know that either, the only way to find out is to call the company and ask.

"How can I calculate my PTO based on my hours worked?"

If you don't know your PTO accrual rate, how do you expect us to know?  We are not clairvoyant.  

No, there is no law that requires employers in Maine to pay out accrued sick leave upon termination.   The purpose of sick leave is so that you do not lose income when you are sick.    It's not bonus money on top of what you already earned.

Employers in Maine only have to pay out accrued vacation leave if their company policy states such.

Thirty-five hours of unused vacation for working 5-6 months...sounds about right.