Question about the workplace. Am I in the wrong ?

So here is the deal I work second shift and every day without fail the first shift slacks off and passes the buck on to me and my other 2nd shift coworkers. So we do the same and pass the buck on the 3rd shift. Last night as I was leaving one of the guys from 3rd shift confronted me about it and I responded "that's the nature of the beast dude. The 1st shift passes the buck on to us, we pass the buck on you, so by nature you make more work for the 1st shift." Am I right? That's the way it was taught to me years ago at my first job.

I just don't get it. 15 years ago when I had my first job at Walmart I worked nights and when I was cleaning up my manager told me not to worry and let the day guys take care of it 

I went to my shift manager and he talked to the first shift manager and the whole management system does the same. They don't care how much slacking off is done as long as the work is done by the end of the day 

As I said in the previous update the managers are the same way 

To the guy who shares my name the reason we are still in business is because at the end of the day the work gets done. And I wasn't always like this it was years of encouraged behavior.

Just so everyone knows I have been working there for my current job for 6 years 

Yeah, you're wrong. Slacking at your job and screwing the next guy because that's what the guy before you did, is childish and unethical. Attitudes like yours are what destroy productivity and employee morale. This is why the Chinese dominate us in manufacturing.

This is a pretty bad attitude to have. If your performance is so heavily influenced by the poor performance of others, I can't say your career outlook is great.

You're a garbage employee, with a garbage management team. It's a wonder your place is even in business. With such a cancerous attitude, I certainly wouldn't want to be the one stuck with you as an employee.

It may be how your workplace functions, but it doesn't make it right. Maybe... do the job?

• Maxi

Yes you are wrong and you also have very poor management

• n2mama

Yes, you are wrong. It is both wrong and lazy to not complete tasks and pass them off to the next shift, and if the attitude is “well, that’s what got done to me so I’m just doing the same”, that’s unprofessional. If the managers are no better, then they are part of the problem too. 

Years ago I worked in manufacturing as a second shift supervisor. The first shift was constantly dumping on my team, leaving our shared workstations a mess, without appropriate supplies, etc. It got to a point where my team had to spend the first 30 min of their shift cleaning up first shifts mess just to be able to start their day. So I talked to the first shift supervisor about it. She denied there was any issue. Then I started taking pictures and documenting the conditions my team was walking into every day. I requested a meeting with my boss and the other supervisor, where I laid out my concerns, showed my evidence of the conditions, and presented a handover checklist I had made to be assigned to each workstation. The other supervisor resisted, the manager supported, the checklist was implemented, and the problem basically stopped.

So these types of issues don’t have to persisted can be addressed and resolved if the right attitude is taken toward them. You seem to be happier as part of the problem, not part of the solution.

So you deliberately drop the ball and figure that's ok?  

Do the right thing and notify the manager about what first shift is continually doing.  Like you should have done when it happened the second time. 

• You're in the wrong. You're supposed to be doing your job, and not passing it onto other people. It's not fair to have one team doing all the work, when it's supposed to be spread over 3 teams. So you're kind of slacking off too if you're passing the work you're supposed to be doing onto the next team. Tasks are only going to build up if they're not done.  

When I worked in retail, I never passed a job on. I found the time to complete my tasks, or got help if I needed it to complete them. I was never told to pass my work onto the next shift. Instead of going to you, they should have gone to a manager and let them know about what's goin on. You should complain about the first shift slaking off. 

That's what managers should be doing, making people work when they slack off. If their going to wine about being made to work, maybe they shouldn't be there. You don't get payed to slack off (in most places unfortunately you do), karma will catch up with you eventually. If nothing gets done about this, then blame poor management. If you don't like the job, find another job and quit. 

• Kieth

The thing is, first shift has the bosses on it, and when the first shift workers cry, the bosses get their nuts in a knot and kick the s#it down hill.