In general, what is better: university or community college/trade school?

• DON W

It depends upon your goals.

If you are ready to start working, particularly in the trades, then a community college offering training in that trade is the way to go.  You can learn to be an electrician, hair stylist, HVAC technician, daycare teacher, and lots more.

If you're interested in a "professional" career, such as an accountant, teacher, or lawyer, then a university is the way to go.  If money is tight or you don't think you have the high school grades to get into a decent university right away, then start at a community college, but taking academic courses geared toward transferring to a university.

• MS

There is no "general" answer to this.  It varies by person.  Some people are not cut out for university work, but are well-suited to trades; for them, a trade/vocational school or applied associate's degree from a community college would be best.  Other students excel in education and/or have career aspirations that require a bachelor's degree or more, so a university is better for them. 

That depends. If you want to be a plumber or a hairdresser, university won't help. If you want to be a geologist, trade school won't help, though some community colleges might get you started on it.

• John

There is no "one size fits all" answer to this question.  Its similar to asking if a 2 seat sports car, a family mini van, or a pick up truck is best.  The answer depends on what one plans to use the vehicle for 

Depends strictly on your abilities & interests. What do you want to do with your life? And what education, training & credentials do you need for that? E.g. if you want occupational/vocational training of two years or less, community college is probably the right place for you. If you did poorly in high school & need remedial education and a chance to prove you are really capable of college-level work, community college is the right place for you. If you aspire to university degree and/or eventual advanced or professional degree(s), then you need to get into a good university, well regarded in your chosen field.

It would all depend on several things:

- how much time do you want to spend on an education?

- how much money do you want/have to spend?

- can you see yourself 20 years from now in the same profession you went to school for?

For ME, I chose community college for several reasons. I never had the funds to pay for 4-6 years of university, nor did I want to spend that much time, and I also am the type of person who feels that in order to justify paying all that money for a high end education, I would need to stay in my chosen profession for many years, and I just would not like my life to be that cut and dried. After 5 years or so I would be looking for something new to do, and would be very unhappy staying in a job that I was tired of. 

You may have a different mindset from me. You may be the type of person who has had a dream all your life of doing a university taught profession such as being a doctor or lawyer, and retiring from that profession, so there would be no issue in taking that much time and spending that much money. On the other hand, if you are eager to get out into the workforce, community college is a better way to go, as most courses take less time and money.

Mind you, these are just my opinions, take the time to read what everyone else has to say. Good luck.

• drip

One is not better or worse. That is why different education and training exists.

Which one is best for you will depend on your goals.