Can I legally attack a vandal/trespasser?

I live in Kansas state. What are my rights for violently protecting my private property? I've been told multiple times by my father that I should shoot and kill anyone attempting to invade my private property or destroy it. He even bought me one of those Trespassers will be shot warning signs for my yard.

You can't legally attack anyone in ANY US state.

Use of force in defense of property is NOT the same thing. What you claim your father said is ILLEGAL in all 50 states. You NEVER shoot to kill. If you can legally use force, you shoot NOT to kill, but to STOP the threat. In real life, a gunshot wound the stops the attack quickly is most likely fatal, but you NEVER shoot with the intent to kill, unless you WANT to be convicted of murder.

It's incredibly scummy that the law demands that you stop & think about whether or not defending yourself & your family is a good idea when a stranger is standing in your living room.

It sucks if someone gets shot when they thought no one was home & they were just looking for something valuable to steal because they were desperate but come on. No one can seriously argue that being harsh on the owners of homes for shooting intruders INSIDE THEIR HOMES is doing more to defend the innocent than it is to punish the victims.

If you can't shoot an unarmed intruder, what are you supposed to do? Try to drag them out of your house even if they're bigger than you & just hope they don't use a knife from your kitchen to murder you after they've beaten you senseless with their bare hands.

"Sorry, kids. I would've killed those intruders before they raped you but that would've been legally gray."

NO. all history says that you must bend over and **** yourself. it's the golden rule. like asking for help should be a cry to rape you...you fuckn alien

Kill anyone on your property and you're most likely going up the river for the remainder of your days! There are specific circumstances where your life and the lives of your family must be in immediate and imminent danger where the trespasser has a gun or has a knife and is wielding it, lunging at you! Attacking/killing someone who trespasses onto your property isn't reason enough! Ignorance is no excuse for breaking the law!

I don't know.... the Roman legions had a hard time with the Vandals.

Hurray for useless signage.

Kansas is a 'castle doctrine, stand your ground' state.  This does not give you the right to blow away someone with a can of spray paint.  In spite of 'stand your ground', it will be police, prosecutors, judges and juries - NOT YOU - who will determine what 'reasonably' means when it comes to this:

'A person is justified in the use of deadly force if the person *reasonably* believes that the use of deadly force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or a third person.'

Here are two scenarios of "trespassers" your father would have you kill:  1) five year old wanders away from babysitting grandparent who has fallen asleep, and comes onto your property.  Grandparent awakens and chases after child.  You shoot and kill both as trespassers.

2) Driver's car stalls out.  Your house is nearest.  Driver walks to your door to ask for help phoning AAA.  You open door and blast the trespasser.

Your father is a dangerous paranoid.

Your father is why many of us are embarrassed to call ourselves “Americans”

Do not know about Kansas law, but would you really feel OK about shooting and possibly killing someone who wandered unto your property ?   I realize that your father would rather have you alive and the other person dead, but it is not that easy to move on and forget about the event.  Remember Breonna Taylor and the police that legally broke in.

• ?

You can't "legally" "attack" anyone. Even if they're on your private property.